Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) consist of large number of sensors which having capabilities such as sensing, computing, and communicating. Beside these features, sensors have limited computational and communication power. Therefore, energy is a challenging issue in WSN networks. Clusters-based routing protocols are used to maximize network lifetime. In this paper, we propose a new combination of K-means and improved GAs to reduce energy consumption and extend network lifetime. The proposed method, reduce energy consumption by finding the optimum number of cluster head (CHs) nodes using improved Genetic Algorithm (GA). To balance energy distribution, a k-means-based algorithm, dynamically cluster the network. The simulations in NS-2 show the proposed algorithm has longer network lifetime than famous algorithms like LEACH, GAEEP and GABEEC protocols.
J. Sherly, T. Prabhu
Wireless sensor Networks, Routing protocols, clustering, Genetic algorithm, k-Means.
- M. Sabet and H. R. Naji, "A decentralized energy efficient hierarchical cluster-based routing algorithm for wireless sensor networks," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2015.
- M. Hammoudeh and R. Newman, "Adaptive routing in wireless sensor networks: QoS o ptimisation for enhanced application performance," Information Fusion, vol. 22, pp. 3-15, 2015.
- V. Kochher and R. K. Tyagi, "A Review of Enhanced Cluster Based Routing Protocol for Mobile Nodes in Wireless Sensor Network " Advance in Electronic and Electric Engineering, vol. 4, pp. 629-636 2014.
- J. Changjiang, X. Min, and S. Weiren, "Overview of cluster-based routing protocols in wireless sensor networks," in Electric Information and Control Engineering (ICEICE), 2011 International Conference on, 2011, pp. 3414-3417.
- S. P. Barfunga, P. Rai, and H. K. D. Sarma, "Energy efficient cluster based routing protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," in Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE), 2012 International Conference on, 2012, pp. 603-607.
- W. B. Heinzelman, a. P. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, "An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 1, pp. 660670, 2002
- Kaicheng. Yin and Chaosheng. Zhong, "Data collection in wireless sensor networks," Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems (CCIS), 2011 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 98-102, 15-17 Sept. 2011 2011.
- L. Jianhua, Z. Baili, and X. Li, "A data correlation-based wireless sensor network clustering algorithm," in Computer Application and System Modeling (ICCASM), 2010 International Conference on, 2010, pp. V8-61-V8-65.
- L. Weifa, L. Jun, and X. Xu, "Prolonging Network Lifetime via a Controlled Mobile Sink in Wireless Sensor Networks," in Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), 2010 IEEE, 2010, pp. 1-6.
- W. R. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, "Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireles Microsensor Networks," in Proc. of 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 110, 2000
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
J. Sherly, T. Prabhu, "An Energy Efficient Routing Protocol Based On The Combination of Genetic Algorithm and K-Means For Extending The Lifetime of Wsn's", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.556-559, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622179.php