Cryogenic rocket propellant tank is a pressure vessel for storing fuel or oxidizer of rocket stages. Generally, Liquid Hydrogen is used as fuel for cryogenic stages. The Fuel is stored at very low temperature at 20 K. Vibration analysis of cryogenic propellant tanks is significant in addition to the pressure analysis. Intense of vibrations are high during start and shut down of the rocket engine. The vibration levels generate major problems in propellant tank and its internals. Hence estimating the frequency levels at various possible modes is essential. Design and modal analysis of the Liquid hydrogen propellant tank is carried out in ANSYS workbench 15.0 in this work. Frequencies at six mode variations are taken and frequency ranges are compared.
L. Ramola , N.Sankareswaran
Cryogenic pressure vessel, Liquid hydrogen tank, Pressurization, Tank design, Modal analysis.
- Abdul Khaleelullah, Sk. J. Basha& H. K. Rangavittal "Design and Analysis of Propellant Tanks Support Structure for an Advanced Spacecraft" (journal of applied research in mechanical engineering – 2011).
- Donald E. Jaekle Jr. "Design and manufacturing of propellant tank assembly" (journal of AIAA – 2007).
- George p. Sutton "Rocket propulsion elements" department of aeronautics (7th edition book)-2001.
- James A. Schoenster "Measurement an analysis of solid rocket vibration obtain during captive flight" (Report of nasa – 1971).
- Kai Qun, Xudong Zhang "Finite element analysis of propellant of solid rocket motor during ship motion" (journal of energy department – 2009).
- R. Okou, M.A. Khan, P. Barendse, P. Pillay "Test Rig for High Speed Electromechanical Flywheels in Sub Saharan Africa"(department of electrical engineering – 2009).
- Robert L. Goldman "Longitudinal vibration analysis of partially filled ellipsoidal tanks"(department of engineering and applied science – 1971).
- Shankar Bhaumika, A Kumaraswamyb, S Guruprasada "Design & development of test rig for investigation of contact mechanics phenomena in reciprocating hydraulic seals"(journal of manufacturing department – 2013)
- Structural vibration prediction( report of nasa – 1970)
- Warren C. Strahle John C. Handley "Prediction of combustion induced vibration in rocket motors" (Report of nasa – 1978).
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
L. Ramola , N.Sankareswaran, "Design and Modal Analysis of Cryogenic Rocket Propellant Tank", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.614-620, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622183.php