CNC Turning is basically a material removal process done to obtain the desired diameter. Even though the machine tool industry has made tremendous progress, the metal cutting industries using various machine tools continue to suffer from major drawback of not utilizing the machine tools at their full potential. A major cause leading to such a situation is thought to be the failure to run the machine tools at their optimum operating conditions. In this paper an attempt is made to investigate the various process parameters like cutting speed (V), feed (F), and depth of cut(D) to reveal their effect on MRR(Material Removal Rate) and Ra(surface Roughness) of AISI 4340 Alloy steel using one variable at a time approach. The optimal set of process parameters has also been predicted to maximize MRR and minimize Ra.
Krishan Kant, Umesh Gupta, Naveen Kumar, Lalit Kumar
CNC Turning, Cutting Parameters, Material Removal Rate, Surface Roughness.
- J. Paulo Davim, V.N. Gaitonde , S.R. Karnik, 2008, Investigations into the effect of cutting conditions on surface roughness in turning of free machining steel by ANN models, J. Mater. Process. Technol, 205, 16-23
- Muammer Nalbant, Hasan Gokkaya, Ihsan Toktas, Gokhan Sur, 2009, the experimental investigation of the effects of uncoated , PVD- and CVD- coated cemented carbide inserts and cutting parameters on surface roughness in CNC turning and its prediction using artificial neural networks, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing 25, 211-223
- M. Kaladhar, K. Venkata Subbaiah, Ch. Srinivasa Rao, 2011, Performance evaluation of coated materials and process parameters optimization for surface quality during turning of AISI 304 Austenitic Stainless Steel, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol 3,No. 4, 89-102
- S.R.Das, D. Dhupal, A. Kumar, 2013, Experimental Study and Modelling of Surface Roughness in Turning of Hardened AISI 4340 Steel Using Coated Carbide Inserted, International Journal of Automotive Engineering, vol. 3, 284-292.
- Mahendra Korat, Neeraj Agarwal, 2012, Optimization of Different Machining Parameters of En24 Alloy Steel in CNC Turning by use of Taguchi Method, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol. 2, 160-164
- P.P. Shirpurkar, S.R.Bobde, V.V.Patil, B.N.Kale, 2012, Optimization of Turning Process Parameters by using Tool Inserts- A Review, International Journal of Engineering and Innovation Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 6, 216-221
- Ersan Aslan, Necip Cemuscu, Burak Birgoren, 2007, Design optimization of cutting parameters when turning hardened AISI 4140 steel (63 HRC) with Al2O3 + TiCN mixed ceramic tool, Materials and Design, 28, 1618-1622
- J. Paulo Davim, 2001, A note on the determination of optimal cutting conditions for surface finish obtained in turning using design of experiments, J. Mater. Process. Technol, 116, 305-308
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Krishan Kant, Umesh Gupta, Naveen Kumar, Lalit Kumar, "Experimental Study of Process Parameters in Dry Turning of AISI 4340 Alloy Steel Using PVD Coated Carbide Insert", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.647-651, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622215.php