Inflections in a language are significant because they can convey information regarding tense, agreement, person, number and other details. But, despite their importance, they are omitted or incorrectly substituted. The omission of an inflection could be expected in usage by second language (L2) learners when they are exposed to a highly inflectional language with rich verbal paradigms, where multiple verb forms compete for the learner’s or user’s attention and overwhelm the processing system. English, with its residual inflectional morphemes, should not be so challenging.
This study deals with the English inflectional morphemes. It is made up of four sections:
The First Section: sheds the light on such concepts as: the problem, the aim, the limit, the value and the procedures.
The Second Section: studies the main body of the paper, which is the problems that the second language learners (L2) have with inflectional morphemes. It attempts to account for their difficulties with these inflections and gives sights regarding these inflectional variations and irregularities are offered to encourage deeper understanding and improvement of English skills as a foreign language for both teachers and learners.
The Third Section: reveals the main findings of the study that relate to the inflection of nouns, verbs and adjectives.
The Fourth Section: which is considered as the back material of the study? It reveals the main conclusion that the writer reached as well as including the main references that the writer depended on completing this task.
Mohammed Abdur Razzaq Ismail
Inflections in a language, Metaphor
- Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy. (2002). An Introduction to English Morphology Words and Their Structure, Edinburgh University Press Ltd.
- Andrea DeCapua. (2008). Grammar for Teachers A Guide to American English for Native and Non-Native Speakers, New York: Library of Congress.
- Bauer, Laurie. (1983). English Word-formation. London, IlK: Cambridge University Press.
- (1988). Introducing Linguistic Morphology. Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh
- Booij, Geert. (2005). The Grammar of Words. Oxford, UK: Oxford University
- Carol A. Angel!. (2009). Language Development and Disorders: A Case Study Approach, London: Cambridge University Press.
- Clayton Valli, Ceil Lucas. (2000). Linguistics of American Sign Language: An Introduction, Gallaudet University Press.
- David Crystal. (2008). A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics, Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data.
- Dirk Geeraerts, Hubert Cuyckens. (2007). The Oxford Handbook of Cognitive Linguistics, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- George Yule. (2006). The Study of Language, Cambridge University Press.
- Gerald Nelson. (2001). English: An Essential Grammar, New York: Library of Congress.
- Huddleston, Rodney and Geoffrey K. Pullum. (2002). The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Haspelmath, Martin. (2002). Understanding Morphology, London:Arnold.
- Harrison Adeniyi. (2010). ENGLISH MORPHOLOGY, National Open University of Nigeria.
- Laurel J. Brinton. (2000). The Structure of Modern English A linguistic introduction, University of British Columbia.
- Laurie Bauer. (1938). English Word-Formation, Cambridge University Press.
- Norman C. Stageberg, Dallin D. Oaks. (2000). An Introductory English Grammar, Harcourt College Publisher.
- Peter Robinson. (2013). The Rutledge Encyclopedia of Second Language Acquisition, Cambridge University Press.
- Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum. (1937). A University Grammar of English, London: Longman Group.
- (1985). Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language,London, UK: Longman.
- Spencer, A. (1991). Morphological Theory: An Introduction to Word Structure in Generative Grammar. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Mohammed Abdur Razzaq Ismail, "INFLECTIONAL MORPHEMES", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.142-152, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162222.php