Detecting text regions in natural scene images has become an important area due to its varies applications. Text Information Extraction (TIE) System involves detecting text regions in a given image, localizing it, extracting the text part and recognizing text using OCR. This work basically concentrates on the detection and extraction of text in natural scene images. In this work, the test image will be pre-processed using RGB to Gray conversion, binarization, Edge Detection method and Geometric based Noise removal method. The features from the pre-processed image are extracted. After detecting text regions, characters are extracted and finally displayed. The purpose of this paper is to compare the basic methods Prewitt Edge Detector, Sobel edge detector and Robert edge detector with different structuring elements.
Vijaykumar K L, Savitri Raju
Content extraction, Text region detection, Edge detection, Text localization, Prewitt operator, Sobel operator, Robert operator.
- Amit Choksi, Nihar Desai, Ajay Chauhan, vishal Revdiwala,"Text Extraction from Natural scene Images using Prewitt Edge detection Method", IJARCSSE, vol.3.
- Sharma S, "Extraction of Text Natural Images". IJARCSSE, Vol.3, [2007
- Giri, P. S., "Text Information Extraction And analysis from Image Using Digital Image Processing Techniques" IJARCSSE, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 137–154,
- Agarwal P, Varma R "Text Extraction From Images", IJCSET, Vol.2, 
- Ferreira S., Garin V.,Gosselin B.,"A Text Detection Technique Applied in the Framework of a Mobile Camera-Based Application".
- Gonzalez R.C., Woods R.E., Eddins S.L., Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB, Pearson Education.
- M. Swamy Das, B. HimaBindhu, A. Govardhan C, "Evaluation of Text Detection and Localization Methods in Natural Images." IJEATE, Vol.6, 
- Sharadha Naik, Sankhya nayak, "Text detection and Character extraction in natural scene images",IJETAE, Vol.5, 
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Vijaykumar K L, Savitri Raju, "Analysis of Edge Detection Algorithms for Content Extraction from Images", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.628-631, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622226.php