Many aluminum alloys with specific properties, like high strength, suffers from certain limitations in terms of cost and time of production, apart from the reduction in ductility. High strength accompanied by high ductility is possible with materials having fine and homogenous grain structures. Hence there arises a necessity to develop a processing technique that would produce a material with small grain size that satisfies the requirements of strength and ductility, friction stir processing is such a new promising technique, but still in research phase.
Uday Sen, Kulbhushan Sharma
Aluminum alloys, grain structure, processing technique, friction stir processing.
- D. M. Darras, M. K. Khaishesh , F. K abu-Faraha and M. A. Omar (2015) “Friction stir processing of commercial AZ 31 magnesium alloy”, Journal of materials processing technology , Vol. 191, pp. 77-81.
- Elangovan, K. and Balasubramanian, V. (2008a) “Influences of tool pin profile and tool shoulder diameter on the formation of friction stir processing zone in AA6061 aluminum alloy:, Materials and Design, Vol.29, pp.362-373.
- Elangovan, K., Balasubramanian, V., (2007) “Influences of pin profile and rotational speed of the tool on the formation of friction stir processing zone in AA2219 aluminium alloy” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 459, pp. 7-18.
- Fadhel A. Hashim, Raid K. Salim, Basheer H. Khudair (2015) “Effect of Friction Stir Processing on (2024-T3) Aluminum Alloy” IJIRSET, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 2015, pp. 1822-1829.
- Itharaju and M. Khraisheh. (2004) “On the forces generated during friction stir processing of aluminum 5052 sheets”. Ultrafine Grained Material III TMS. pp. 321-329.
- Karthikeyan, L., Senthilkumar, V.S., Balasubramanian, V., Natarajan, S. (2009) “Mechanical property and microstructural changes during friction stir processing of cast aluminum 2285 alloy” Materials and Design, Vol.30, pp. 2237-2242.
- Kwon, I. Shigematsu and N. Saito. (2003) “Mechanical properties of fine-grained aluminum alloy produced by friction stir process”. Scripta Materialia, 49,pp. 785-789.
- Ma, Z.Y., Sharma, S.R. and Mishra, R.S. (2006a)“Effect of friction stir processing on the microstructure of cast A356 aluminum alloy” Materials Science Engineering A, Vol. 433, p. 272-278.
- Magdy, M.L. and Ehab, A.E. (2012) “The influence of multi-pass friction stir processing on the microstructural and mechanical properties of aluminum alloy 6082”, Journal of Materials Processing and Technology, Vol. 212, pp. 1157-1168.
- Mishra, R.S., Mahoney, M.W., McFadden, S.X., Mara, N.A., Mukherjee, A.K., (1999) “High strain superplasticity in a friction stir processed 7075 Al alloy” Scripta Materialia 42, Issn: 2, 163-168.
- Santella, M.L, Engstrom, T, Storjohann, D, Pan, T.Y. (2005) “Effects of friction stir processing on mechanical properties of the cast aluminum alloys A319 and A356”, ScriptaMaterialia, Vol. 53, pp. 201-206.
- Sharma, S.R., Ma, Z.Y and Mishra, R.S. (2004) “Effect of friction stir processing on fatigue behaviour of A356 alloy”, ScriptaMaterialia, Vol. 51, pp. 237-241.
- Tsai, F.Y and Kao, P.W. (2012) “Improvement of mechanical properties of a cast Al-Si base alloy by friction stir processing”, Materials Letters Vol. 80, pp. 40-42.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Uday Sen, Kulbhushan Sharma, "Friction Stir Processing of Aluminum Alloys: A Literature Survey", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.771-774, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622249.php