Recently, fiber reinforced polymer composites have a wide range of applications as a class of structural materials because of their advantages such as ease of fabrication, relatively low cost of production & superior strength as compared to neat polymer resins. The representative volume element (RVE) plays a central role in the mechanics and physics to calculate the effective properties of heterogeneous materials. The aim of the present work is to determine the elastic properties of glass fiber reinforced epoxy composite by varying the volume fraction of fiber. The properties of the composite are determined by finite element analysis (FEA) of the RVE with necessary boundary conditions using ANSYS. In order to validate the FEA model, the numerical results of elastic properties are compared with the analytical methods. It has been observed that elastic properties predicted by the finite element analysis agree well with the existing analytical predictions.
B. V. Subrahmanyam, E. Venkateswara Rao, CH. Lakshmi Poornima, B. Lakshmi
Composite, FEM, Representative Volume Element, Volume Fraction
- L. Tong, A.P. Mouritz and M.K. Bannister, 3D Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites, Elsevier Science Ltd, the Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 IGB, UK, 2002.
- M. Isaac Daniel and Ishai Ori, Engineering mechanics of composite materials, Oxford University Press, New York, 1994.
- Ahmed, K.Sabeel and S.Vijayarangan, Elastic property evaluation of jute-glass fibre hybrid composite using experimental and CLT approach, Indian journal of Engineering and Material Science, Vol. 13, 2006, pp. 435-442.
- B. Gommers, I. Verpoest and P. Van Houtte, Modelling the elastic properties of knitted-fabric-reinforced composites, Composites Science and Technology, 1996, Vol.56, Issue 6, 1996, pp. 685–694.
- C.T.Sun and R.S.Vaidya, Prediction of composite properties from a representative volume element, Composites Science and Technology, 1996, Vol.56, pp.171-179.
- V.S.Sai, V.B.K Murthy, Satyanarayana and G.Sambasiva, Mechanical properties of hybrid elliptical fiber reinforced lamina with equal fiber volume fractions, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2013, Vol.3, Issue1.
- Bhaskar Pal, Mohamed Riyazuddin and Haseebuddin, Analytical estimation of elastic properties of polypropylene fiber matrix composite by finite element analysis, Advances In Materials Physics and Chemistry, 2012, Vol. 2, pp.23-30.
- S. Banerjee and B.V. Sankar; 27th Annual Technical Conference of the American Society for Composites, Arlington, Texas, 2012, pp. 153-172.
- A.R. Melro, P.P. Camanho, F.M. Andrade Pires and S.T. Pinho; International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2013, Vol. 50, pp. 1906–1915.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
B. V. Subrahmanyam, E. Venkateswara Rao, CH. Lakshmi Poornima, B. Lakshmi, "Prediction of Elastic Properties of Glass Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composites by Micromechanical Analysis", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.153-156, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162225.php