Concrete is absolutely an essential component in construction material used in most of the buildings. It is mostly weak in tension and due to external loading the micro cracks were occur. The cracking allows chemicals and water to enter into the degraded concrete, reducing the performance of the structure and also it requires more expensive maintenance in the form of repairs. The micro cracks grow up to the reinforcement and hence the corrosion may occur due to exposure of water and oxygen, and possibly CO2 and chloride ions. In this paper, the study was made on application of self-healing property in concrete. The mineral precipitating bacteria and additives were investigated based on the strength and durability performances. Hence this paper outlines the types of bacteria, method of application, and medium of curing and pH concentration to overcome the strength and durability requirement.
Dr. Jegatheeswaran. D, Subramani. V
Bacterial concrete, self-healing mechanism, strength and durability, micro-cracks.
- Abd_Elmoaty M. Abd_Elmoaty (2011),”Self-healing of polymer modified concrete”, Alexandria Engineering Journal, Vol.50, pp.171–178.
- Afifudin, H., Nadzarah, W, Hamidah M.S and Noor Hana H. (2011),”Microbial Participation in the Formation of Calcium Silicate Hydrated (CSH) from Bacillus subtilis”, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 20, pp. 159 – 165.
- Dechkhachorn Jaroenratanapirom and Raktipong Sahamitmongkol (2011), “Self-Crack Closing Ability of Mortar with Different Additives”, Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals, Vol.21, pp.9-17.
- Erik Schlangen and Senot Sangadji (2013), “Addressing Infrastructure Durability and Sustainability by Self-Healing Mechanisms - Recent Advances in Self-Healing Concrete and Asphalt”. Procedia Engineering, Vol.54, pp.39–57.
- Guadalupe Sierra Beltran M., Jonkers H.M and Schlangen E (2015), “Characterization of sustainable bio based mortar for concrete repair”, Construction and Building Materials, Vol.67, pp.344- 352.
- Haoliang Huang and Guang Ye (2012),” the effects of capsules on self-healing efficiency in cementitious materials”, Second International Conference on Microstructural-related Durability of Cementitious Composites.
- Henk M. Jonkers and Erik Schlangen E (2009). “A two component bacteria-based self-healing concrete”, Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting II, pp. 119–20.
- Jagadeesha Kumar B G and R Prabhakara, Pushpa H. (2013),”Effect of Bacterial Calcite Precipitation on Compressive Strength of Mortar Cubes”, International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT), Vol.2, No. 3, pp. 486-491.
- Jeffrey Parks, Marc Edwards, Peter Vikesland, Abhijeet Dudi (2010), “Effects of Bulk Water Chemistry on Autogenous Healing of Concrete”, Journals Of Materials In civil engineering, vol.22, pp. 515-524.
- Kim Van Tittelboom, Nele De Belie, Willem De Muynck, Willy Verstraete (2010),” Use of bacteria to repair cracks in concrete”, Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 40, pp. 157-166.
- Mayur Shantilal Vekariya and Prof. Jayeshkumar Pitroda (2013),”Bacterial Concrete: New Era for Construction Industry”, International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), Vol. 4, Issue 9, pp.4128-4137.
- Mian Luo, Chun-xiang Qian , Rui-yang Li (2015),”Factors affecting crack repairing capacity of bacteria-based self-healing Concrete” .Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 87, pp.1–7.
- Mohini P. Samudure, Mangulkar M.N and Saptarshi S.D (2014),“A Review of Emerging Way to Enhance the Durability and Strength of Concrete Structures- microbial concrete”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, vol.3,issue 2, pp. 9311-9316.
- Navneet Chahal, Rafat Siddique, Anita Rajor (2012),”Influence of bacteria on the compressive strength, water absorption and rapid chloride permeability of concrete incorporating silica fume”, Construction and Building Materials Vol. 37. pp. 645-651.
- Ramakrishnan V., Ramesh K. Panchalan and Sookie S. Bang (2001),”Improvement of concrete durability by bacterial mineral precipitation”, South Dakota school of mines & technology.
- Ravindranatha, Kannan N., Likhit M.L (2014), “Self-healing material bacterial concrete”, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 03,issue 3, pp. 656-659.
- Reaz A. Chowdhury, Mahesh V. Hosur, Md. Nuruddin, Alfred Tcherbi-Narteha, Ashok Kumar, Veera Boddu, and Shaik Jeelani (2015),“Self-healing epoxy composites: preparation, characterization and healing performance”, Journals of Material Research and Technology, vol.4,pp. 33–43.
- Seshagiri Rao M.V., Srinivasa Reddy S., Hafsa M., Veena P and P.Anusha (2013),“Bioengineered concrete- A Sustainable Self-Healing Construction Material”, Research Journal of Engineering Sciences, vol.2, pp.45-51.
- Siddique R and Chahal N (2011), “Effect of ureolytic bacteria on concrete properties”. Construction and Building Materials Vol. 25, pp. 3791-3801.
- Varenyam Achal, Abhijit Mukherjee (2015),” A review of microbial precipitation for sustainable construction”, Construction and Building Materials.
- Varenyam Achal, Xiangliang Pan and Nilufeer Ozyurt (2011),”Improved strength and durability of fly ash-amended concrete by microbial calcite precipitation”, Ecological engineering, Vol.37, pp. 554–559.
- Virginie Wiktor and Henk M. Jonkers (2011),”Quantification of crack-healing in novel Bacteria-based self-healing concrete”, Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol.33, pp. 763–770.
- Wang J Y., Snoeck D., Van Vlierberghe S., Verstraete W. and De Belie N (2014),”Application of hydrogel encapsulated carbonate precipitating bacteria for approaching a realistic self-healing in concrete”, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 68, pp. 110-119.
- Wang J Y., Soens H., Verstraete W and De Belie N (2014),”Self-healing concrete by use of microencapsulated bacterial spores”, Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 56, pp. 139–152.
- Wiktor V and Jonkers H.M (2015), “Field performance of bacteria-based repair system: Pilot study in a parking garage”, Case Studies in Construction Materials.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dr. Jegatheeswaran. D, Subramani. V, "Feasibility Studies on Microbial Concrete", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.904-909, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622256.php