In this investigation, the effect of friction stir processing (FSP) parameters such as rotational speed, traverse speed and plunge depth on the tensile strength of AA6063 aluminum alloy was studied. The experiments were carried out as per response surface methodology parametric design concepts to study the influence of various combinations of process parameters. Statistical optimization technique, ANOVA was used to determine the optimum levels and to find the significance of each process parameter. The results indicate that rotational speed (RS), and traverse speed (TS) are the most significant factors, followed by plunge depth (PD) in deciding the tensile strength of friction stir processed aluminum alloy. In addition, mathematical models were developed to establish relationship between different process variables and tensile strength.
Uday Sen, Kulbhushan Sharma
AA6063 aluminum alloy, friction stir processing, response surface methodology, tensile strength.
- D. M. Darras, M. K. Khaishesh , F. K abu-Faraha and M. A. Omar (2015) “Friction stir processing of commercial AZ 31 magnesium alloy”, Journal of materials processing technology , Vol. 191, pp. 77-81.
- Fadhel A. Hashim, Raid K. Salim, Basheer H. Khudair (2015) “Effect of Friction Stir Processing on (2024-T3) Aluminum Alloy” IJIRSET, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 2015, pp. 1822-1829.
- Karthikeyan, L., Senthilkumar, V.S., Balasubramanian, V., Natarajan, S. (2009) “Mechanical property and microstructural changes during friction stir processing of cast aluminum 2285 alloy” Materials and Design, Vol.30, pp. 2237-2242.
- Kwon, I. Shigematsu and N. Saito. (2003) “Mechanical properties of fine-grained aluminum alloy produced by friction stir process”. Scripta Materialia, 49,pp. 785-789.
- Magdy, M.L. and Ehab, A.E. (2012) “The influence of multi-pass friction stir processing on the microstructural and mechanical properties of aluminum alloy 6082”, Journal of Materials Processing and Technology, Vol. 212, pp. 1157-1168.
- Mishra, R.S., Mahoney, M.W., McFadden, S.X., Mara, N.A., Mukherjee, A.K., (1999) “High strain superplasticity in a friction stir processed 7075 Al alloy” Scripta Materialia 42, Issn: 2, 163-168.
- Sharma, S.R., Ma, Z.Y and Mishra, R.S. (2004) “Effect of friction stir processing on fatigue behaviour of A356 alloy”, Scripta Materialia, Vol. 51, pp. 237-241.
- Tsai, F.Y and Kao, P.W. (2012) “Improvement of mechanical properties of a cast Al-Si base alloy by friction stir processing”, Materials Letters Vol. 80, pp. 40-42.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Uday Sen, Kulbhushan Sharma, "Effects of Process Parameters of Friction Stir Processing on Tensile Strength of AA6063 Aluminum Alloy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.785-789 , March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622257.php