A Venturimeter is basically a differential pressure type flow meter which is used to measure the volumetric flow rate of fluids. Certain amount of pressure drop occurs in pipeline due to the reduction in flow passage in these types of flow meters. For designing flow meters, minimum pressure drop is a required condition. This pressure drop depends on various geometrical parameters of flow meters and properties of the fluid. In the present work, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) has been used to investigate the effect of different geometrical parameters like convergent cone angle, divergent cone angle, diameter ratio (β) and throat length on pressure drop in Venturimeter. Effect of each parameter has been checked by varying one parameter and keeping three parameters constant at a time. From simulation results, it was found that pressure drop fluctuates with increase in convergent cone angle, divergent cone angle and throat length while reduces with increase in diameter ratio (β).
C. R. Sanghani, D. C. Jayani, N. R. Jadvani, H. N. Dobariya, K. R. Jasoliya
Venturimeter, CFD, Convergent Angle, Divergent Angle, Diameter Ratio, Pressure Drop
- T. Elperin, A. Fominykh, M. Klochko. Performance of a Venturi meter in gas–liquid flow in the presence of dissolved gases. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. 13: (2002), 13–16.
- J. Kumar, J. Singh, H. Kansal, G. S. Narula, P. Singh. CFD Analysis of Flow Through Venturi. International Journal of Research in Mechanical Engineering & Technology. 4(2): 2014, 214-217.
- N. Tamhankar, A. Pandhare, A. Joglekar, V. Bansode. Experimental and CFD analysis of flow through venturimeter to determine the coefficient of discharge. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology. 3(4): 2014, 194-200.
- P. Kumar, S. M. San. CFD Study of the Effect of Venturi Convergent and Divergent Angles on Low Pressure Wet Gas Metering. Journal of Applied Sciences. 14(22): 2014, 3036-3045.
- X. Huang, G. Li, M. Wang. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, Volume 294, Computer and Computing Technologies in Agriculture II. 2: 2009, 805–815.
- S. Bharani, R Mishra, S N Singh, V Seshadri. Performance characteristics of an eccentric venturimeter with elongated throat for flow rate measurement of solid-liquid flows. Indian Journal of Engineering & Material Sciences. 6: 1999, 119-124.
- P. Hari Vijay, V. Subrahmanyam. CFD Simulation on Different Geometries of Venturimeter. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 3(7): 2014, 456-463.
- M. S. Karthik, V. Seshadri. Prediction of Viscous Coefficient of Venturi Meter under Non ISO Standard Conditions. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 4(5): 2015, 1338-1343.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
C. R. Sanghani, D. C. Jayani, N. R. Jadvani, H. N. Dobariya, K. R. Jasoliya, "Effect of Geometrical Parameters of Venturimeter on Pressure Drop", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.865-868, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622269.php