Biodiesel, the methyl ester of vegetable oil is a renewable, low environmental impact and potential as a green alternative fuel for diesel engine. High oil prices and growing concerns over climate change are driving investment and innovation in the biofuels sector as countries and industry increasingly look towards renewable bioenergy to replace fossil fuels. This study examines fuel properties, performance and exhaust emission of a diesel engine fuelled with three different biodiesel mixtures (i.e, Jatropha, Rice bran and Soybean oils) and their blends with diesel fuel. The results indicate that the calorific value of the blends decrease with an increase in concentration of three biodiesel in the blends. The brake thermal efficiency of diesel fuel is found to be higher, when compared to biodiesel blends. Biodiesel blends gives lower CO and NOx than diesel fuel operation.
Avinash B, Dr. Y T Krishne Gowda, Prof. Chethana G D
Diesel Engine, Biodiesel, Jatropha Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Soybean Oil, Combustion Performance
- Hasan Serin, Kadir Aydin, Mustafa Ozcanli and Abdulkadir Yasar, “EmissionCharacteristics of Tea Seed/Soybean/Cotton Seed Biodiesel Blends”. IPCBEE vol. 73 (2014).
- Mustafa Ozcanli, Hasan Serin, “Evaluation of soybean/canola/palm biodiesel mixture as an alternative diesel fuel”. Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 70, pp. 466-470,(2011).
- Subhan Kumar Mohanty, “A Production of biodiesel from rice bran oil and experimenting on small capacity diesel engine”. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER), Vol.3, Issue.2,(2013).
- Selvaraj K, Shanmugam A, “ Study of performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine fueled with blends of ethanol and dual biodiesel(jatropha, pongamia pinnata) with diesel”. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical SciencesISSN: 0974-2115.
- Swapna G.K, Dr. M. C. Math, “Investigation of Fuel Properties of Mixture of Jatropha and Pongamia Pinnatta Methyl Ester and Their Blends with Diesel to assess their Usefulness as Compression Ignition Engine Fuel” IJESIT, Vol3, Issue3, May 2014
- Dhruva D, Dr. M C Math, “Investigation of Fuel Properties of Crude Rice Bran Oil Methyl Ester and Their Blends with Diesel and Kerosene”. International Journal of Engineering Science Invention, Vol.3, Issue 6,(2014).
- Chetan, Arunkumar Jeergi,Omprakash Hebbal, “Experimental Investigation On The Single Cylinder Diesel Engine With Multi-Blend Biodiesel”. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol. 2 Issue 7, July – 2013.
- Amit Pal, “An Experimental Investigation of Jatropha Biodiesel Blends in a Multi Cylinder CI Engine: Performance and Emissions Study”. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, ISSN 2277 – 410 (2013).
- Hariram V, Shanil George Chandy, “Influence of injection timing on combustion and heat release parameters using biodiesel of Neem, Rice bran and Pongamia in a direct injection compression ignition engine”. International Journal Of Engineering And Science, Vol.2, Issue 11 ( 2013), Pp 36-43.
- N. Ravi Kumar, Rajesh Guntur and Y.M.C. Sekhar, “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Slow Speed Diesel Engine Fueled With Soybean Bio Diesel”. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, ISSN 2250-2459, Vol. 2, Issue 4,(2012).
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Avinash B, Dr. Y T Krishne Gowda, Prof. Chethana G D, "Experimental Investigation on Four Stoke Diesel Engine Using Diesel-Jatropha/Rice Bran/Soybean Biodiesel Mixture Blends", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.85-88, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16223.php