Current trend in construction industry demands taller and lighter structures, which are also more flexible and having quite low damping value. These structures are flexible and constructed as light as possible, which have low value of damping. This increases failure possibilities and also problems from serviceability point of view. Current trends use several techniques to reduce wind and earthquake induced structural vibration, out of the several techniques available for vibration control, concept of using TMD (Tuned mass damper) is a newer one. This study was made to study the effectiveness of using TMD for controlling vibration of structure. Passive tuned mass damper (TMD) is widely used to control structural vibration under wind load but its effectiveness to reduce earthquake induced vibration is an emerging technique. Total two types of models, i.e., 3D frame with single TMD and 3D frame with double TMD are considered. Total six numbers of loading conditions are considered named sinusoidal ground acceleration, EW component of 1940 El-Centro earthquake (PGA=0.2144g), compatible time history as per spectra of IS-1893 (Part -1):2002 for 5% damping at rocky soil (PGA=1.0g), Sakaria earthquake (PGA=1.238g), The Landers earthquake (1992) (PGA=1.029g) and Mexico earthquake(1995)(PGA=1.24g) for time history analysis of considered model. The effectiveness of single TMD to reduce frame vibration is studied for variation of mass ratio of TMD to 3D frame. Also the effect of double tuned mass damper on the 3D frame response is studied for variation of mass ratio of damper. From the study it is found that effectiveness of TMD increases with increase in mass ratio. Use of double TMD is much more effective than single TMD of same mass ratio for vibration mitigation under earthquake as well as sinusoidal acceleration.
Guduru Venkata Suresh Bhargav, Esar Ahmad
Lighter structures, 3D frame, Tuned mass damper, Damping, Earthquake, Vibration, SAP2000, Damper
- Allen, D. E., "Building Vibrations from Human Activities," Concrete International: Design and Construction, American Concrete Institute, 12:No.6 (1990) pp. 66–73.
- Ellingwood, B., "Structural Serviceability: Floor Vibrations," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 110, No. 2, February 1984.
- Murray, T. M., "Building Floor Vibrations," Engineering Journal, 28:No. 3, Third Quarter, 1991, pp. 102–109.
- Murray, T., "Design to Prevent Floor Vibrations," Engineering Journal, Third Quarter, 1975, pp. 83–87.
- Commentary on the National Building Code of Canada, Chapter4, 1985.
- Murray, T. and Hendrick, W., "Floor Vibrations and Cantilevered Construction," Engineering Journal, Third Quarter 1977, pp. 85–91.
- Meirovitch, L., Analytical Methods in Vibrations, Macmillan, 1967.
- Masri, S., ed., Proceedings of the US National Workshop of Structural Control Research, October 1990, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- Allen, D., and Rainer, J., "Vibration Criterion for Long Span Floors," Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, June, 1976, pp. 165–173.
- Candir, B. and Ozguven, H., Dynamic Vibration Absorbers for Reducinq Amplitudes of Hysteretically Damped Beams, pp. 1628–1635.
- Jacquot, R., "Optimal Dynamic Vibration Absorbers for General Beam Systems," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 60(4), pp. 535–542, 1978.
- Reed, F. E., "Dynamic Vibration Absorbers and Auxiliary Mass Dampers," Shock and Vibration Handbook, Harris, C., ed., 3rd ed., McGraw Hill, 1988.
- Gerald, C., and Wheatley, P. Applied Numerical Analysis, 3rd ed., Addison-Wesley, 1984., pp. 311–318.
- Gandhi, K., Final Report: Study of the Structural Integrity of the Terrace on the Park Building. Prepared for the City of New York, Department of Parks and Recreation, April 10, 1987.
- "Harmonizing with the Wind," Engineering News Record, October 25, 1984.
- Gockel, M., ed., MSCINASTRAN—Handbook for Dynamic Analysis, MacNeil-Schwendler Corporation, Los Angeles, CA, 1983. 124
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Guduru Venkata Suresh Bhargav, Esar Ahmad, "Study of Tuned Mass Damper as Vibration Controller in Frame Structure", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1005-1014, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622302.php