In this paper, we have used Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) for offline handwriting recognition. Our Convolutional Network is based on the LeNet-5 network. We have modified it by changing the number of neurons in each layer. We have also added a dropout layer, which has resulted in slower, but accurate learning from the training set. We have used MNIST database for testing.
Aathira Manoj, Priyanka Borate, Pankaj Jain, Vidya Sanas, Rupali Pashte
Pre-processing, Segmentation, Feature extraction, CNN, LeNet-5.
- J.F. H´ebert, M. Parizeau, and N. Ghazzali. Learning to segment cursive words using isolated characters. In Proc. of the Vision Interface Conference, pages 33–40, 1999.
- M. Parizeau, A. Lemieux, and C. Gagn´e. Character recognition experiments using unipen data. In Document Analysis and Recognition, 2001. Proceedings. Sixth International Conference on, pages 481–485. IEEE, 2001.
- E.H.Ratzlaff. Methods,reports and survey for the comparison of diverse isolated character recognition results on the unipen database. In Document Analysis and Recognition, 2003. Proceedings. Seventh International Conference on, pages 623–628. IEEE, 2003.
- L. Vuurpijl and L. Schomaker. Two-stage character classiﬁcation: A combined approach of clustering and support vector classiﬁers. In Proc 7th International Workshop on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, Amsterdam, Netherlands, pages 423–432, 2000.
- ] R. Ghosh and M. Ghosh. An intelligent ofﬂine handwriting recognition system using evolutionary neural learning algorithm and rule based over segmented data points. Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology, 37(1):73–88, 2005.
- V. Nguyen and M. Blumenstein. Techniques for static handwriting trajectory recovery: a survey. In Proceedings of the 9th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems, pages 463–470. ACM, 2010.
- Y. LeCun and Y. Bengio. Convolutional networks for images, speech, and time series. The handbook of brain theory and neural networks, 3361, 1995.
- D. Bouchain. Character recognition using convolutional neural networks. Institute for Neural Information Processing, 2007, 2006.
- F. Lauer, C.Y. Suen, and G. Bloch. A trainable feature extractor for handwritten digit recognition. Pattern Recognition, 40(6):1816–1824, 2007.
- Y. LeCun, K. Kavukcuoglu, and C. Farabet. Convolutional networks and applications in vision. In Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Symposium on, pages 253–256. IEEE, 2010.
- P.Y. Simard, D. Steinkraus, and J.C. Platt. Best practices for convolutional neural networks applied to visual document analysis. Document Analysis and Recognition, 2:958, 2003.
- Y. Bengio, Y. LeCun, C. Nohl, and C. Burges. Lerec: A nn/hmm hybrid for on-line handwriting recognition. Neural Computation, 7(6):1289–1303, 1995.
- H. Deng, G. Stathopoulos, and C.Y. Suen. Error correcting output coding for the convolutional neural network for optical character recognition. In Document Analysis and Recognition, 2009. ICDAR’09. 10th International Conference on, pages 581–585. IEEE, 2009.
- K.R. Arvind, Jayant Kumar, and A.G. Ramakrishnan. Entropy Based Skew Correction of Document Images
- S. Marinai and P. Nesi, “Projection Based Segmentation of Musical Sheets”, Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR, (1999), pp. 515-518.
- Hubel, D. and Wiesel, T. (1968). Receptive fields and functional architecture of monkey striate cortex. Journal of Physiology (London), 195, 215–243.
- Fukushima, K. (1980). Neocognitron: A self-organizing neural network model for a mechanism of pattern recognition unaffected by shift in position. Biological Cybernetics, 36, 193–202.
- Serre, T., Wolf, L., Bileschi, S., and Riesenhuber, M. (2007). Robust object recog- nition with cortex-like mechanisms. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., 29(3), 411–426. Member-Poggio, Tomaso.
- LeCun, Y., Bottou, L., Bengio, Y., and Haffner, P. (1998d). Gradient-based learning applied to document recognition. Proceedings of the IEEE, 86(11), 2278–2324.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Aathira Manoj, Priyanka Borate, Pankaj Jain, Vidya Sanas, Rupali Pashte, "Offline Handwriting Recognition System Using Convolutional Network", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.869-872, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622309.php