As we move slowly to a paradigm where a large number of machines will interact with each other without the need for human intervention, we begin to realize that we need a standard way to enable communication between these machines. Additionally, since a lot of good work has already been done in the past to setup the Internet and the IP networks, it makes sense to follow the lead and try to leverage the already existing infrastructure and build on top of it. To standardize a communication methodology for machines to independently exchange information with each other, keeping in mind that we want to build on and leverage existing knowledge and infrastructure. The Internet Engineering Task Force created a working group called Constrained RESTful Environment Group (or CoRE) group. This group was assigned the task to define a mechanism using which a large number of small, resource constrained, low power devices can communicate over low-power lossy networks. This group defined a set of specifications that is known today collectively as – Constrained Application Protocol or CoAP in short. The objective of this paper is to provide an overview of CoAP protocol and observing resource, similar to http, in the Internet of things (IoT) and wireless sensor networks (WSNs).
Farman Ullah, Muhammad Safdar, Izaz Ahmad Khan, Zia Ur Rahman
M2M, RESTful Environment , CoAP , Internet of things, HTTP, JSON, XML
- Z. Shelby, K. Hartke, C. Bormann, "The constrained application protocol (CoAP)", 2014.
- M. A. Jan, P. Nanda, X. He, Z. Tan and R. P. Liu, "A robust authentication scheme for observing resources in the internet of things environment" in 13th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), pp. 205-211, 2014, IEEE.
- M. A. Jan, P. Nanda and X. He, "Energy Evaluation Model for an Improved Centralized Clustering Hierarchical Algorithm in WSN," in Wired/Wireless Internet Communication, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 154–167, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2013.
- K.Hartke, "Observing resources in coap", 2014.
- O. Bergmann, K. T. Hillmann, S. Gerdes, A Coap-gateway for smart homes, in: 2012 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2012, pp. 446–450.
- M. Castro, A. J. Jara, A. F. Skarm eta, "Enabling end-to-end coap-based communications for the web of things", Journal of Network and Computer Applications (2014).
- M. A. Jan, P. Nanda, X. He and R. P. Liu, "Enhancing lifetime and quality of data in cluster-based hierarchical routing protocol for wireless sensor network", 2013 IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications & 2013 IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (HPCC & EUC), pp. 1400-1407, 2013.
- M. A. Jan, P. Nanda, X. He and R. P. Liu, "PASCCC: Priority-based application-specific congestion control clustering protocol" Computer Networks, Vol. 74, PP-92-102, 2014.
- L. Atzori, A. Iera, G. Morabito, The internet of things: A survey, Computer networks 54 (2010) 2787–28 05.
- Mian Ahmad Jan and Muhammad Khan, "A Survey of Cluster-based Hierarchical Routing Protocols", in IRACST–International Journal of Computer Networks and Wireless Communications (IJCNWC), Vol.3, April. 2013, pp.138-143.
- Mian Ahmad Jan and Muhammad Khan, "Denial of Service Attacks and Their Countermeasures in WSN", in IRACST–International Journal of Computer Networks and Wireless Communications (IJCNWC), Vol.3, April. 2013.
- J. Gubbi, R. Buyya, S. Marusic, M. Palaniswami, Internet of things (iot): A vision, architectural elements, and future dire ctions, Future Generation Computer Systems 29 (2013) 1645–1660
- M. A. Jan, P. Nanda, X. He and R. P. Liu, "A Sybil Attack Detection Scheme for a Centralized Clustering-based Hierarchical Network" in Trustcom/BigDataSE/ISPA, Vol.1, PP-318-325, 2015, IEEE.
- M. A. Jan, "Energy-efficient routing and secure communication in wireless sensor networks," Ph.D. dissertation, 2016.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Farman Ullah, Muhammad Safdar, Izaz Ahmad Khan, Zia Ur Rahman, "Resource Observation in WSN-based Constrained Networks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.978-982, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622315.php