Flame straightening is a common procedure used for repair work in steel components. It is based on heating a local region of the part by means of a flame torch. Due to the obstruction of the heat expansion, upsetting occurs in the work material. During cooling of the squashed zone shrinkage occurs and that is associated with tension forces which leads to the desired deformation. This process is used in railway shell manufacturing to achieve desired undulation levels of the outer shell skin material. The process of flame straightening suffers from several shortcomings that have strong impacts on the quality, safety and on the economy of railway shell construction. In this paper, a study on the oxyacetylene flame heating of 2mm thick corrosion resistant structural steel sheets (Indian Railway Standard Specification No. M 41 (IRS:M – 41)) is carried out. During heating of IRS:M41 structural steel, an exceeding of oxy acetylene pressure, torch nozzle diameter and the holding time have detrimental effects on mechanical and micro structural properties. The relationship between the micro structural features, tensile and yield strength, elongation and Vickers hardness of material at different combinations of the above parameters were analysed and results were correlated. Based on the experimental results, this study reveals the consequences of flame straightening on microstructure and mechanical properties of the work material influenced by oxy acetylene pressure, torch nozzle diameter and the holding time.
K B Jayan, J. Pradeep Kumar
Corrosion resistant structural steel, IRS:M41, Undulation, Tin canning effect, Oxyacetylene flame straightening, Microstructure, Mechanical propertie
- D Schafer, V Rinaldi, D.Beg ,Optimization and improvement of the flame straightening process.RTD Info. European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (2012)
- Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO), Ministry of Railways. Specification for Corrosion Resistant Structural Steel used for Rolling Stock Serial No. IRS-M41, (1997).
- Bharat earth Movers Limited (BEML) Shell installation Drawing No. 929-40001
- R. Lacalle, Influence of Flame Straightening Process in Micro-structural, Mechanical and Fracture properties of S235 JR, S460 ML and S690 QL Structural Steel. Society for Experimental Mechanics, 53 : 893-909. (2013)
- Dean Deng, Numerical simulation of welding distortion in large structures. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 196: 4613-4627. (2007)
- K Sampath, An understanding of HSLA-65 Steels. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 15: 32-40. (2006)
- O. Okman, Free forming of locally heated specimens .International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture; 47: 1197-1205. (2007)
- Yongjun Shi, Yancong Liu , Effect of different heating methods on deformation of metal plate under upsetting mechanism in laser forming. Journal of Optics & Laser Technology; 44 : 486-491. (2012).
- M.P. Lightfoot, N.A. McPherson , Artiﬁcial neural networks as an aid to steel plate distortion reduction. Journal of Materials Processing Technology,172,238-242, (2006)
- Bernd-Arno Behrens,Klaus-Georg Kosch, Characterizing the buckling behavior of cylindrical hollow and hybrid specimens by experimental upsetting tests. Prod.Eng.Res. Devel. 7:167-176. (2013)
- G.Yu, RJ Anderson),Efficient Simulation of shell forming by line heating. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 43: 2349-2370.(2001)
- PK Ray, BB Verma and PK Mohanthy,Spot heating induced fatigue crack growth retardation. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 79: 373-376.(2002)
- M. Sunar, BS Yilbas,Thermal Stress analysis of a sheet metal in welding. Journal of Material Processing Technology 172 : 123-129.(2005).
- Dale H.Besterfield ,Total Quality Management, Pearson education,(2011).
- Indian Standard IS 1608:2005 Metallic Materials – Tensile Testing at Ambient Temperature,(2005).
- Indian Standard IS 1599 Method of bend test (Second Revision),(1997).
- Metallography and microstructures, ASM Handbook Vol-9.(2004).
- Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO), Ministry of Railways. Specification for Classification, Testing and Acceptance criteria of Manual Metal Arc Welding electrodes and gas welding rods, (2002).
- Railway Systems, Technologies, Operations across the world – Railway Technical Hand book,(2009).
- SAIL, Salem – User’s Manual(2003).
- Ship Structure Committee -198,Flame Straightening and its effect on base metal properties.(1969).
- Frank Marlow. Welding Fabrication and repair, Industrial press, (2006).
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
K B Jayan, J. Pradeep Kumar, "Experimental Investigation on Flame Straightening of Corrosion Resistant Structural Steel Sheet Used for Rolling Stock", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1023-1032, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622338.php