An experimental analysis was made to evaluate the performance, emission characteristics of a diesel engine using blend (B15) of methyl ester of karanja with diesel. The main aim of the present work is to carry out an experimental evaluation of single cylinder diesel engine by adding 5%, 10% and 15% of ethanol with B15 biodiesel. Experiments were tested with different load conditions in terms of brake power at a constant speed of 1500 rpm. The performance parameters were found to be extremely close to that of diesel. The brake thermal efficiency and mechanical efficiency were superior to mineral diesel for some particular blending ratios under certain loads. The emission characteristics were also studied and levels of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitric oxide and hydrocarbons were found to be a little higher than pure diesel.
M. Goudilyan, M. K. Murthi
Karanja oil, Ethanol, Methanol, Performance and Emission characteristics
- Andrzej Kowalewic, "Emission Characteristics of Compression Ignition Engine fuelled with RME/DF and ethanol", Journal of KONES internal combustion engines, vol 11. No 1-2, 2004, pp349-357.
- Jincheng Huang, Yaodong Wang, Shuangding Li, Anthony P, Roskilly, Hongdong Yu, and Huifen Li, "Experimental investigation on the performance and emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with ethanol-diesel blends", Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 29, Issues 11-12, 2009.
- Pang X, Shi X, Mu Y, He H, Shuai S, Chen H, and Li R, "Characteristics of carbonyl compounds from a diesel-engine using biodiesel–ethanol–diesel as fuel", Atmospheric Environment, 40, 2006, pp.7057–7065.
- Ribeiro N.M, Pinto A.C, Quintella C.M, da Rocha G.O, Teixeira, L.S,.Guarieiro L.L.N, Rangel M.., Veloso M.C.C, Rezende M.J.C, Da Cru, R.S, Oliveira A.M, Torres,E.A, de Andrad, J.B, "The role of additives for diesel and diesel blended (ethanol or biodiesel) fuels: a review", Energy & Fuels 21, 2007, pp. 2433–2445.
- Shi X, Yu Y, He H, Shuai S, Wang J, Li R, "Emission characteristics using methyl soyate– ethanol–diesel fuel blends on a diesel engine", Fuel 84, 2005, pp. 1543–1549.
- Hansen AC, Zhang Q, Lyne PWL, "Ethanol–diesel fuel blends – a review" Bioresource Technology, 96, 2005.
- Hadi rahimi, Barat Ghobadian, Talal Yusaf, Gholamhasan Najafi, Mahdi Khatamifar, "Diesterol: An environment-friendly IC engine fuel", Renewable Energy, 34, 2009.
- Hwanam Kim, Byungchul Choi, "The effect of biodiesel and bioethanol blended diesel fuel on nanoparticles and exhaust emissions from CRDI diesel engine", Renewable energy, 35, 2010.
- Xiaobing Pang, Xiaoyan Shi, Yujing Mu, Hong He, shijin Shuai, Hu Chen, Rulong Li, "Characteristics of carbonyl compounds emissions from a diesel engine using biodiesel- ethanol- diesel as fuel", Atmospheric environment, 40, 2006, pp. 7057-7065.
- Prommes Kwanchareon, Apanee Luengnaruemitchai, and Samai Jai-In, "Solubility of a diesel-biodiesel ethanol blend, its properties and its emission characteristics from diesel engine", DOI: 10.1016/J. Fuel.2006.09.034.
- Jayant Singh, T. N. Mishra, T. K. Bhattacharya, and M. P. Singh, "Emission Characteristics of methyl ester of rice bran oil as fuel incompression ignition engine", World Academy of Science. Engineering and Technolog,y 3:6, 2007, pp. 198-202.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
M. Goudilyan, M. K. Murthi, "Performance and Emission Analysis of Karanja Oil and Its Blends with Different Additives", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1154-1162, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622360.php