An algorithm is a well-defined way that takes some input in the form of certain values, processes them and gives certain values as output. Although there is a large variety of sorting algorithms, sorting problem has appealed a great deal of research; because effective sorting is important to enhance the use of other algorithms.A novel sorting algorithm namely ‘V-Re-Fr (VRF) Sorting Algorithm’ is proposed to address the limitations of the current popular sorting algorithms. The goal of this paper is to propose a new algorithm which will provide improved functionality and reduce algorithm complexities. The observations backed by literature survey indicates that proposed algorithm is much more efficient in terms of number of swaps or iterations than the other algorithms having O(n2) complexity, like insertion, selection and bubble sort algorithms.
Sunny Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Prithvipal Singh, Amritpal Singh
V-Re-Fr (VRF), Sorting, algorithms, selection sort, swaps, time complexity
- Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, Sanguthevar Rajasekaran, “Fundamentals Of Computer Algorithms”, Second Ed. USA, 2008.
- Sultanullah Jadoon, Salman Faiz Solehria, Prof. Dr. Salim ur Rehman, and Prof. Hamid Jan, “Design and Analysis of Optimized Selection Sort Algorithm”, International Journal of Electric & Computer Sciences (IJECS-IJENS), Vol. 11, No. 01,February 2011.
- Charles E. Leiserson, Thomas H. Cormen, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein, “Introduction To Algorithms”, 3rd Ed. MIT Press, p.5-7, 147-150, 2009.
- Seymour Lpischutz, G A Vijayalakshmi Pai, “Data Structures”, 3rd Ed., Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, p.4.11, 9.6, 9.8, 2006.
- Khalid Suleiman Al-Kharabsheh, Ibrahim Mahmoud AlTurani, Abdallah Mahmoud Ibrahim AlTurani, and Nabeel Imhammed Zanoon, “Review on Sorting Algorithms A Comparative Study”, International Journal of Computer Science and Security (IJCSS), Vol. 7, No. 3, 2013.
- Saleh Abdel-hafeez, and Ann Gordon-Ross, “A Comparison-Free Sorting Algorithm”, IEEE International SoC Design Conference (ISOCC), pp. 214-215, 2014.
- Ashok Kumar Karunanithi, “A Survey, Discussion and Comparison of Sorting Algorithms”, Department of Computing Science, Umea University, June 2014.
- Susumu Horiguchi, and Willard L. Miranker, “Noisy Sort, A Memory-Intensive Sorting Algorithm”, Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc, pp. 641-658, 1989.
- V.P.Kulalvaimozhi, M.Muthulakshmi, R.Mariselvi, G.Santhana Devi, C.Rajalakshmi, and C. Durai, “ Performance Analysis Of Sorting Algorithm”, International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing (IJCSMC), Vol. 4, No. 1, pg.291 – 306, January 2015.
- Anthony LaMarca, and Richard E. Ladner, “The Influence of Caches on the Performance of Sorting”, Proceedings of the Eighth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms,. pp. 370–379, January1997.
- C.Cook, and D.Kim, “Best sorting algorithm for nearly sorted lists", Commun. ACM, pp.620-624.
- Deepak Garg, “Selection O. Best Sorting Algorithm”, International Journal of Intelligent Information Processing, pp.363-368.
- I. trini, k. kharabsheh, and A. trini, "Grouping Comparison Sort", Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, pp. 221-228, May 2016.
- Kronrod, M. A., "Optimal ordering algorithm without operational field",Soviet Mathematics – Doklady, pp. 744, 1969.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sunny Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Prithvipal Singh, Amritpal Singh, "VRF: A Novel Algorithm for optimized Sorting", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1072-1076, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622366.php