As the concept of Friction stir welding is relatively new, there are many areas, which need thorough investigation to optimize and make it commercially viable. In order to obtain the desired mechanical properties, certain process parameters, like rotational and translation speeds, tool tilt angle, tool geometry etc. are to be controlled. Aluminum alloys of 5xxx series and their welded joints show good resistance to corrosion in sea water. Here, a literature survey has been carried out for the friction stir welding of 5xxx series aluminum alloys.
Rohit Thakur, Prabhdeep Singh Bajwa
5xxx series Aluminum alloys, Friction Stir Welding, Mechanical Properties.
- Thomas W. M, Nicholas E. D., (1997) “Friction stir welding for the transportation industries’, Materials & Design 18(4-6), pp. 269-273.
- Xu, J., Vaze, S.P., Ritter, R.J., Colligan, K.J., Pickens, J.R., (2004) “Experimental and numerical study of thermal process in friction stir welding,” Joining of advanced and specialty Materials 4, pp. 10-19.
- Hirata T., Oguri T, Hagino H, Tanaka T, Wook Chungb S, Takigawa Y, Higashi K., (2007) “Influence of friction stir welding parameters on grain size and formability in 5083 aluminium alloy” Materials Science and Engineering 456, pp. 344-349.
- Cam, G., Gucluer, S., Cakan, A., Serindag, H.T., (2008), “Mechanical properties of friction stir butt-welded Al-5086 H32 plate,” Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol. 30(2), pp. 151-156.
- Wang, X., Wang, K., Shen, Y., Hu, K., (2008) “Comparison of fatigue property between friction stir and TIG welds,” Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing, Mineral, Metallurgy, Material, 15, pp. 280-284.
- Lombard, H., Hattingh, D.G., Steuwer, A., James, M.N., (2008) “Optimizing FSW process parameters to minimize defects and maximize fatigue life in 5083-H321 aluminium alloy,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 75, pp. 341-354.
- Zhao J., Jiang F., Jian H., Wen K., Jiang L., Chen X., 2010. Comparative investigation of tungsten inert gas and friction stir welding characteristics of Al–Mg–Sc alloy plates. Materials & Design, Vol. 31(1), pp. 306-311.
- Klobcar, Ladislav Kosec, Adam Pietras, Anton Smolej, (2012) “Friction-stir welding of aluminium alloy 5083, Materials and technology", Vol. 46, Issue 5, pp. 483-488.
- Z. Barlas, U. Ozsarac (2012) “Effects of FSW Parameters on Joint Properties of AlMg3 Alloy” Vol.16, pp. 16-22
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Rohit Thakur, Prabhdeep Singh Bajwa, "Friction Stir Welding of 5xxx series Aluminium Alloys : A Literature Survey", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1129-1131, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622375.php