Human-elephant conflict (HEC) is the major problem faced by much human habitation. This problem leads to crop damage, human injuries and death caused by elephants, and deleterious effects to the resources. These pachyderms intrusion is increasing day by day particularly in forest border areas. Nowadays Prevention system for human-elephant conflict is a necessary one. Continuous monitoring and tracing of elephants is difficult due to its large size and movement. Many methods had been implemented for elephant’s intrusion detection and warning systems. The main aim of the project is to design a wireless sensor network based system for elephant intrusion. Static and mobile sensors are used for the detection of intrusion and a sink node which acts as a base station collects the information from different sensors. The information collected by sink node is based on the priority considering different places of sensor deployment. The message collected is automatically transmitted to the forest officials to avoid the intrusion of elephants. Based on the information received the officials take the proper action.
R. Ashwiny Amala Mary, A. Karthikeyan
Elephant Intrusion, Static Sensor, Mobile Sensors, Sink Node.
- K. Ruwini Edirisinghe, Dileeka Dias, Rakhitha Chandrasekara, Lanka Wijesinghe,Prasanga Siriwardena and Prasad Kumara Sampath., July 2013 :“wi-alert : a wireless sensor network based intrusion alert prototype for hec” International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Systems (IJDPS) Vol.4, No.4
- NirmalPrince.J,.Sugumar S.J., May 2014 :“Surveillance And Tracking Of Elephants Using Vocal Spectral Information”,International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology(IJRET),Vol.3,Special Issue: 07
- Rizki Dian Rahayani,Arif Gunawan & Agus Urip Ariwibowo, ,2014:”Implementation of Radio Frequency as Elephant Presence sDetector for the Human Elephant Conflict Prevention” Innovative Systems Design And Engineering,Vol.5,No.5
- Mayilvaganan.M,M.Devaki, February 2014:”Elephant Localization And Analysis of Signal direction receiving in Base ststion using Acoustic sensor network”,International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Commnication Engineering,Vol.2,Issue 2
- You-Chiun Wang, Member, IEEE April 2014 “A Two-Phase Dispatch Heuristic to Schedule the Movement of Multi-Attribute Mobile Sensors in a Hybrid Wireless Sensor Network”IEEE transactions on mobile computing Vol.13,No.4
- Karlsson.J , et al., 2010: "Tracking and Identification of Animals for a Digital Zoo. ," in IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications & 2010 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing, pp. 510-515.
- Patwari.N and Wilson.J, 2010 "RF Sensor Networks for Device-Free Localization and Tracking," IEEE, vol. 98, pp. 1961-1973.
- Wijayakulasooriya.J.V, ., 2011 "Automatic recognition of elephant infrasound calls using formant analysis and Hidden Markov Model. ," presented at the 6th IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- O’Connell-Rodwell K.E, ., 2007, "Keeping an "Ear" to the Ground : Seismic Communication in Elephants "Physiology, vol. 22, pp. 287-294.
- Ranjan.R and Shi.H, , 2009,""GLOBETRACKER"-A Wireless Tracking System," International Journal of Computer Networks & Communications (IJCNC), vol. 1, pp. 125-130
- Wijesinghe.L, et al., 2011:"Electric Fence Intrusion Alert System (eleAlert)," in IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, Seattle, WA, USA ., pp. 46 – 50.
- Sugumar.S.J,.Jayaparvathy.R, 2013,”An Early Warning System for Elephant Intrusion along the forest border areas”.Current Science Journal,.
- Kumara.H.N ,Rathnakumar.S, Ananda Kumar M &Singh M. 2012. Estimating Asian elephant,Elephasmaximus, density through distance sampling in the tropical forests of BiligiriRangaswamy Temple Tiger Reserve, India. Journal – Tropical Conservation Science. 5(2) .163-172.
- Venter, P. J., &Hanekom, J. J. 2010. Automatic detection of African elephant (Loxodontaafricana),infrasonic vocalisations from recordings. Biosystems engineering, 106(3), 286-294.
- Viani.F , et al.,2011,"WSN-based early alert system for preventing wildlife-vehicle collisions in Alps regions. ," presented at the IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), Torino.
- O’Connell-Rodwell.K.V,2007 "Keeping an "Ear" to the Ground: Seismic Communication in Elephants "Physiology, vol. 22, pp. 287-294.
- Wijayakulasooriya.J.V, 2011 “Automatic Recognition of Elephant Infrasound Calls Using Formant Analysis and Hidden Markov Model”, 6th International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems, Sri Lanka, Aug..
- Culler.D, Estrin.D, and Srivastava.M, 2004 “Overview of sensor networks,” IEEE Computer 37, pp. 41–49, Aug.
- Venkataraman, A. B., Saandeep, R., Baskaran, N., Roy, M.,Madhivanan, A. and Sukumar, R., 2005, Using satellite telemetry to mitigate elephant–human conflict: an experiment in northern West Bengal, India. Curr. Sci., 88, 1827–1831.
- Wijesinghe, L. et al., 2011, Electric fence intrusion alert system (eleAlert).In Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, IEEE Conference, Seattle,WA, pp.46-50.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
R. Ashwiny Amala Mary, A. Karthikeyan, "An Efficient Warning System for Human Elephant Conflict", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.344-349, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162238.php