Nowadays, the advancement in technologies and the industrial revolution has led to generation of tremendous amount of wastes thereby polluting the environment. The Air quality changes due to various activities taking place in the environment, but the most important factor is the growth of industries. The environment can incorporate only a limited amount of contaminates without any significant ill effects. However, when the amount of contaminants exceeds beyond the limits, significant effects are observed. This proposed paper focused on the prevailing air quality at Indoshell Mould Limited, SIDCO (Small Industrial Development Corporation) Industrial Estate, which is located at a distance of approximately 7 km from the Coimbatore city. The estate consists of more than 250 industries, both small and large scale industries. Emissions from these industries results in air pollution. The main aim of this project is to monitor and analyse the ambient air quality status for the concentration of air pollutants (PM10, PM2.5 and TSPM) and to develop a model for the Air Quality Indices using Artificial Neural Network (ANN). The concentration of PM10 was found to be exceeding its threshold value for few days during the monitoring period. In ANN, the error in the predicted values was less than 8%, indicating the developed model is perfect. The R2 value for this model is 0.9709.
T. P. A. Aravind, M. V. Mohammed Haneef, M. A. M. Mannar Thippu Sulthan, Dr. M. Isaac Solomon Jebamani
ANN, PM10, PM2.5, SIDCO and TSPM
- Avnish Chauha et al., 2010, “Assessment Of Ambient Air Quality Status In Urbanization, Industrialization And Commercial Centers Of Uttarakhand (India)”, New York Science Journal, Vol. 3(7).
- Balaceanu C et al., 2004, “The assessment of the TSPM, particulate matter in the urban ambient air”, Romanian Reports in Physics, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 757-768.
- Chan Shin Wai and Li Steven, 2007, “Air Pollution Business risk or competitive advantage”, pp. 852
- Goyal P. et al., 2003, “Present scenario of Air quality in Delhi: A case study of CNG implementation”, Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 37, pp. 5423-5431.
- Kalabokas P.D. et al., 2010, “Atmospheric PM10 particle concentration measurements at Central and peripheral urban sites in Athens and Thessaloniki, Greece”, Global NEST Journal, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 71-83.
- Leithe W. et al., 1971, “The Analysis of AIR Pollutants”, ANN ARBOR SCIENCE PUBLISHERS.
- E. Maraziotis et al., 2008, “Statistical analysis of inhalable (PM10) and fine particles (PM2.5) concentrations in urban region of Patras, Greece”, Global NEST Journal, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 123-131.
- Meenakshi P. and M.K.Saseetharan, 2003, “Analysis of Seasonal Variation of Suspended Particulate Matter and Oxides of Nitrogen with reference to Wind Direction in Coimbatore City”, IE (I) Journal, EN Vol. 84
- Powe Neil A. et al., 2002, “Mortality and morbidity benefits of air pollution absorption by Woodland”, Social & Environmental Benefits of Forestry Phase 2, Report to Forestry Commission, pp. 1-19.
- Rao C.S. et al., 1991, "Environmental Pollution Control Engineering", Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi, pp. 165-232.
- Rao M.N. and Rao H.V.N., 1989, "Air Pollution", Tata McGraw Hill Publishers, pp. 48-75.
- Thamilalagan, 1998, "Ambient air quality monitoring around textile area in Coimbatore city", M.E. Thesis, GCT, Coimbatore.
- Tippayawong et al., 2006, “Characterization of ambient aerosols in Northern Thailand and their probable sources”, Environ. Sci. Tech., Vol. 3 No. 4, pp. 359-369.
- Tirthankar Banerjee et al.,2011, “Assessment of the ambient air quality at the Integrated Industrial Estate-Pantnagar through the air quality index (AQI) and exceedence factor (EF)”, Asia-Pac. J. Chem. Eng.2011; Vol. 6, pp. 64–70.
- “Ambient air quality assessment”, CPCB (2002).
- “Final Action Plan Report For Critically Polluted Area Kurichi Industrial Cluster, Coimbatore”, Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, November 2010.
- “Review of air quality management system in India” WHO, 2004, “Systematic Review of Health aspects of Air pollution in Europe”, Results from WHO project.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
T. P. A. Aravind, M. V. Mohammed Haneef, M. A. M. Mannar Thippu Sulthan, Dr. M. Isaac Solomon Jebamani, "Monitoring, Analysis and Modelling of Ambient Air Quality Status at Indoshell Mould Ltd., Sidco, Coimbatore using Artificial Neural Network", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.1172-1175, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622399.php