Weirs are overflow structures, which alter the discharge so that flow rate can be calculated, flood can be prevented, or even make a body of water more navigable. Measurements of discharge are known based on the surface profile of the water. For estimation of discharge over the weir, weir coefficient is required. In this report only the broad crested weir is focused on. Design and the analysis of this weir are shown in the report. It was found that the broad-crested weir is best for measuring discharge in small medium channels. Flow over a broad-crested weir is highly dependent on the weirís geometry, itís a useful hydraulic tool which enables engineers to control water height, velocity, and most importantly they can be used to calculate discharge. Hydraulic structures such as weirs, flumes, and pipes, may cause the flow upstream of the structure to rise above the normal flow depth this is a common property.
Bashir. M, Dr. Manal M. A. Albayati
Broad-Crested Weir; Discharge Coefficient, Open Channel Flow
- French, R.H. "Open channel hydraulics". McGraw- Hill, New York. 1987.
- Chin, D.A water resources engineering, second edition, Prentice Hall, 2006.
- CHOW, V. T. "Open Channel Hydraulics". McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1959
- Martinez J, Reca J, Morillas M T, & López J G (2005). Design and calibration of a compound sharp-crested weir. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 131(2): 112-116
- Streeter, V.L. And Wylie, E.B. "Fluid Mechanics". McGraw Hill, New York. 1981.
- Chanson, H. And Gonzalz, C.A., "Experimental Measurements Of Velocity And Pressure Distribution On A Large Broad-Crested Weir.
- Henderson, F.M. "Open Channel Flow." MacMillan Company, New York, USA, 1966.
- Richert B. (2013) How to Calculate Hydraulic Flow,
- Boiten W. (1992) Flow Measuring Structures [Online] Available at: 220.127.116.11/gtb/sod/usu/$UBUG/.../10311182_Boiten.pdf (Accessed 13rd March, 2013)
- Humberto Avila. Water resources engineering laboratory files for open channel hydraulic experiments. 2007
- Mays, Larry. Hydraulic Design Handbook, New York. 1999.
- B.C. Yen, (2002). Open Channel Flow Resistance.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bashir. M, Dr. Manal M. A. Albayati, "Broad-Crested Weir as a Device for Measurement of Discharge", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.36-39, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622423.php