Addressing the issues of People with Visual, Hearing and Vocal Impairment through a single aiding system is a tough job . Many modern day researches focus on addressing the issues of one of the above challenges but not all. The work focuses on finding a unique technique that aids the visually impaired by letting them hear what is represented as text and it is achieved by the technique that captures the image through a camera and converts the text available as voice signals. The paper provides a way for the people with Hearing impairment to visualize / read which is in audio form by speech to text conversion technique and we also provides a way for the vocally impaired to represent their voice by the aid of text to voice conversion technique. All these three solutions were modulated to be in a single unique system. All these activities are coordinated with the use of Raspberry Pi. The visually impaired people are helped by the process in which the image to text and text to speech is given by the Tesseract OCR (online character recognition). The deaf people help with the process of an app which makes them to understand what the person says can be displayed as the message. Vocally impaired people can convey their message by text so the other persons can hear the message in a speaker.
Shiyam Raghul. M, Surendhar. K, Suresh. N, R. Hemalatha
Raspberry-pi, Assistive device, Tesseract Optical Character Recognition OCR, espeak, OpenCV,Google API.
- Chucai Yi, Student Member, IEEE, Yingli Tian, Senior Member, IEEE, and Aries Arditi “Portable Camera-Based Assistive Text and Product Label Reading From Hand-Held Objects for Blind Persons” 2013 IEEE.
- Vasanthi.G and Ramesh Babu.Y Department of ECE, DMI College of Engineering, Chennai, India. “Vision Based Assistive System for Label Detection with Voice Output”Jan-2014.
- S.Hariharan,K.Abdul Rahim,T.Ajith Prakash G. Ganesh Kumar,” A New Concept Of Electronic Braille display Interfaced With Computer” in April-2009.
- Bachar Y.R, Gupta. R, Pathan W.A (E&T Dept. SIER NASIK, SPP University, Pune, India)”Smart Speaking Gloves For Speechless “.
- Dharanikumar Chowdary. M, M. Narasimhulu, G. Subrahmanya Sharma, “Advanced Embedded Chatter Box For Physically Challenging Persons” in Jan 2012.
- Bhavina Patel,Vandana Shah, Ravindra k Shirsagar, “Microcontroller Based gesture Recoginition Syatem For the Handicap People”in Dec-2011.
- Pallavi Varma, Shimi.S.L, Richapriyadarshini, ”Design Of Communication Interpreter For Deaf and Dumb person” in Jan-2015.
- S.B.Shroke, Nandar Dehpande, Prashant Deshmukh, SA=njay Kumar Mathapati. ”Assistive Transulator For Deaf And Dumb People”-in July-2014.
- Michael McEnancy ”Finger Reader Is audio reading gadget for Index Finger “ in July 2014.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Shiyam Raghul. M, Surendhar. K, Suresh. N, R. Hemalatha, "Raspberry-Pi Based Assistive Device for Deaf, Dumb and Blind People", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.167-174, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162248.php