This study was carried out to evaluate the length-weightrelationship, length frequency distribution and condition factor of the Shiny Nose Polydactylus quadrafilis from the Cross River estuary, Nigeria. A total of 350 freshly caught specimens of P. quadrafilis were collected between April 2012 and March 2013 from the catches of the artisanal fisheries from major landing points of the estuary. Results obtained showed a negative allometric growth pattern for this fish species with a significant linear relationship given by the equation: TW= 0.1325TL2.1884 and Log TW = 2.1884LogTL – 0.8777 (r = 0.8610, r2 = 0.7413t, n = 350, P< 0.05, df = 348). The length frequency distribution of P. quadrafilis showed a unimodal class size distribution with the highest length frequency in 20.1cm -25 cm length class (291), followed by 25.1 cm -30.0 cm (32) and lowest (27) in 15.1cm – 20.0 cm respectively. Fulton’s condition factor (K) ranged between 0.579 to 1.650 with a mean 1.075 ± 0.15, indicating that P. quadrafilis were in good physiological health condition. In conclusion, the baseline data on length-weight relationship, condition factor and length-frequency distribution of P. quadrafilis from the Cross River estuary provided in this study is crucial in the sustainable management of this species in the estuary. Also, these findings will be useful in evaluating the population dynamics, stock and the aquaculture potential of P. quadrafilis for future purpose.
Eyo Victor Oscar, Awom Iroamachi Emeka
Polydactylus quadrafilis, Length-WeightRelationship, Length Frequency Distribution, Condition Factor and Cross River Estuary
- Abowei, J. F. N. and Davies, O. A. (2009). Some Population Parameters of Clarotes laticeps (Rüppell, 1829) from the Fresh Water Reaches of Lower Nun River, Niger Delta, Nigeria. American Journal of Scientific Research, 2:10-19.
- Kolher, N., Casey, J. and Turner, P. (1995). Length-weight relationships for 13 species of sharks from the western N orth Atlantic. Fish. Bull., 93: 412-418.
- Morato, T.P., Afonso, P., Lourinho, P., Barreiros, J. P., Santos, R.S. and Nash, R.D.M. (2001). Length-weight relationships for 21 coastal fish species of the Azores, North-Eastern Atlantic. Fish. Res., 50: 297-302.
- Stergiou, K.I. and D.K. Moutopoulos, 2001. A review of length-weight relationships of fishes from Greek marine waters. Naga, ICLARM Quart, 24(1-2):23-39.
- Petrakis, G. and K.I. Stergiou, 1995. Weight length relationships for 33 fish species in Greek waters. Fish. Res., 21(3-4): 465-469.
- Andem A. B., George U. U and Eyo V. O. (2011). Length Frequency Distribution of (Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus)(Lecepede, 1803) (Chrysichthys, Bagridae) from Itu Head Brigde, in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 2(9): 258 – 260.
- Fagade, S. O. (1979). Observation on the species oftwo species of Tilapia from the Lagos, Lagoon, Nigeria. Bulletin de l’l. F.A.N.T. 41 Ser A. No. 3
- Asuquo, P. E., Eyo, V. O & Ikechukwu, C. C. (2015). Feeding Ecology, Length-Weight relationship and Condition Factor of Mugil cephalus (Pisces: Mugilidae; Linnaeus, 1758) From Cross River Estuary, Nigeria. European Academic Research, 2(12): 15276 – 15294.
- Bagenal, T.B. and Tesch, F.W. (1978). Age and Growt. In: Bagenal, T. (Ed.), Methods of Assessment of Fish Production in Fresh Waters. Oxford Blackwell Scientific Publication, pp: 101-136.
- Iyabo, U. B. (2015). Length-Weight Relationship and Condition Factor of Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus(Lacepede: 1803) of Ebonyi River, South Eastern Nigeria. American Journal of Agricultural Science, 2(2): 70-74.
- Eyo, V. O., Akpan, M. M. & Udoh, I. S. (2015). Some aspects of the biology of the female blue crab Callinectes amnicola from the Cross River estuary, Nigeria. European Academic Research, 11(12)15277 -15294.
- Eyo, V. O., Ekanem, A. P., Eni, G. E. and Edet, A. P. (2013a). Relationship between fecundity and biometric indices of the Silver catfish Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus (Lacepede) in the Cross River Estuary, Nigeria. Croatian Journal of Fisheries. 71: 131 -135.
- Fischer, W., Blanchi, G., Scott, W. B. (1981). FAQ species identification sheets for fishery area. Canada found in trust Ottawa, Canada by arrangement with FAQ. 7, 34-47.
- Schineider, W. (1990). Field Guide to the Commercial Marine Resources of the Gulf of Guinea. FAO identification sheets for Fishery purposes. Rome. Pp. 268.
- Eyo, V. O., Udoh, A. G., Etta, S. E., Ekpo, P. B. and Andem, A. B. (2013b). Fecundity and Gonadal Development of the Frillfin Goby, Bathygobius soporator (Valenciennes, 1837) from the Cross River Estuary, Nigeria. International Journal of scientific research and management. (1( 9): 476-480.
- Pauly, D. (1983). Some simple methods for the assessment of tropical fish stock. FAO Fish. Tech. Pap. No. 234. pp : 52
- Pauly, D. (1984). Fish population dynamics in tropical waters: A manual for use with programmable calculators: ICLARM Studies and reviews 8. 325p.
- Ndome, C. B., Eteng, A. O. and Ekanem, A. P. (2012). Length-weight relationship and condition factor of the smoothmouth marine catfish (Carlarius heudelotii) in the gulf of Guinea, Niger delta, Nigeria. AACL Bioflux, 5(3):163-167.
- Khairenizam, M. Z. and Norma-Rashid, Y. (2002). Length–Weight relationship of mudskippers (Gobidae:Oxudercinae) in the coastal areas of Sclangor, Malaysia. International Centre for living Aquatic Resources Management, WorldFish Centre Quarterly, 25: 20-22.
- Thomas, J., Venus, S. and Kurup, B. M. (2003). Length-Weight relationship of some deep sea fishes inhabiting the continental slope beyond 250m depth along west coast of India. Naga. ICLARM Q.26 17-21.
- Kumolu-Johnson, C.A., Ndimele, P.E., Akintola, S. L. and Jibuike, C.C. (2010). Copper, zinc and iron concentrations in water, sediment and Cynothrissa mento (Regan, 1917) from Ologe Lagoon, Nigeria: a preliminary survey. Afr. J. Aqua. Sci., 35(1): 87-94.
- Lawson, E.O. and A.U. Olagundoye (2011). Growth patterns, diet composition and sex ratios in Giant African Threadfin, Polydactylus quadrifilis from Ologe lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 13: 559-564.
- King R. P. (1996). Population dynamics of the mud-skipper Periopthalmus barbarous (gobidae) in the estuarine swamps of Cross River. Nigeria J. Aquatic Sci. 11:31-34.
- Torres, F. (1992). Length-weight relationships Fishbyte qw: 50-53.
- Abowei, J. F. N. and Hart, A. I. (2009). Some morphormetric parameters of ten fin-fish species from the lower Nun River, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Medwell Journals (Pakistan). Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 4 (3): 282-288.
- Olurin, K. B. and Sotuba, A. (1989), Pre-impoundment studies of the fishes of Owa stream, South West Nigeria Arch Hydrobiol 117: 207-116.
- Lagler, K.F., Bardack, J.E., Miller, R.R and Passino, D.R.M. (1997). Ichthyology 2nd Edition, John Willey and Sons, New York: 506.
- Froese, R., (2006). Cube law, condition factor and weight-length relationships: History, meta-analysis and recommendations. J. Appl. Ichthyol., 22: 241-253.
- Morey, G., Moranta, J., Massuti, E., Grau, A., Linde, M. Riera, F. and Morales-Nin, B. (2003). Weight-length relationships of littoral to lower slope fishes from the Western Mediterranean. Fish. Res., 62: 89-96.
- Nieto-Navarro, J.T., Zetina-Rejon, M., Arreguin- Sanchez, F., Arcos-Huitron, N. E. and Pena-Messina, E. (2010). Length-weight relationships of demersal fish from the Eastern Coast of the Mouth of the Gulf of California. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 5(6): 494-502.
- Hossain, M.Y. (2010). Morphometric relationships oflength-weight and length-length of four Cyprinid small indigenous fish species from the Padma River (NW Bangladesh). Turk. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 10: 131-134.
- Bayhan, B., Sever, T.M. and Taskavak, E. (2008). Length-weight relationships of seven flatfishes (Pisces: Pleuronectiformes) from Aegean sea. Turk. J. Fish. And Aquat. Sci., 8: 377-379.
- Franco-Lopez, J., Sanchez, C.B., Escorcia, H.B., Abarca-Arena, L.G., Ferreira, T.C. and Vazquez-Lopez, H. (2010). Biological and Ecological aspects regarding Cynoscion nothus Holbrook, 1855 (Perciforms: Sciaenidae). R.J. Fish. Hydrobiol., 5(2): 66-75.
- Atobatele, O. E. and Ugwumba, A. O. (2011). Condition factor and diet of Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus and Chrysichthys auratus (Siluriformes: Bagridae) from Aiba Reservoir, Iwo, Nigeria. Rev. Biol. Trop. (Int. J. Trop. Biol.), 59 (3): 1233-1244.
- Bagenal, T. B. (1978). Aspects of fish fecundity. In: Methods of Assessment of Ecology of Freshwater fish production (Ed. Gerking SD), Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford, p. 75-101.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Eyo Victor Oscar, Awom Iroamachi Emeka, "Length Weight Relationship, Length Frequency Distribution and Condition Factor of the Shiny Nose Polydactylus quadrafilis
(Cuvier, 1829) From the Cross River Estuary, Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.373-378, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162282.php