Handwriting recognition is one of the most challenging and fascinating areas in the field of image processing and machine learning. Its various practical applications include digitizing documents, reading handwritten notes and addresses on postcards, reading the amounts on checks and so on. This paper provides an overview of the different techniques used in the different phases of offline handwriting recognition.
Aathira Manoj, Priyanka Borate, Pankaj Jain, Vidya Sanas, Rupali Pashte
Pre-processing, Segmentation, Feature extraction, Classification
- P. Murugeswari, D. Manimegalai, ”Complex Background and Foreground Extraction in color Document Images using Interval Type 2 Fuzzy”, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp 6-9, July 2011. J. Clerk Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd ed., vol. 2. Oxford: Clarendon, 1892, pp.68–73.
- E.Badekas and N. Papamarkos, “Optimal Combination of document Binarization technique using a self-Organizing map neural network”, http://ipml.ee.duth.gr/~papamark/, pp 1-33,2007
- T Kasar, J Kumar and A G Ramakrishnan, “Font and Background Color Independent Text Binarization”, pp 3-9, 2010.
- Azizah Suliman,”Hybrid of HMM and Fuzzy logic for Isolated Handwritten Character Recognition”, pp 59-82, 2010. R. Nicole, “Title of paper with only first word capitalized,” J. Name Stand. Abbrev., in press.
- JONATHAN J. HULL, “DOCUMENT IMAGE SKEW DETECTION: SURVEY AND ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY”, Document Analysis Systems Ii ,pp 40-64, 1998
- S. N. Srihari and V. Govindaraju, “Analysis of textual images using the Hough transform,” Machine Vision Applications 2 (1989), 141-153.
- Mohamed Cheriet, Nawwaf kharma, Cheng-Lin Liu, Ching Y.Suen, “A guide for student and practioners”, John Wiley & sons, Inc., Publication. pp. 5-53, 2007.
- E. Oztop, et al., “Repulsive attractive network for baseline extraction on document images,” Signal Process, vol. 74, no. 1, (1999).,
- R.G. Casey and G. Nagy, ”Recursive Segmentation and Classification of Composite Patterns,” Proc. Sixth Int’l Conf. Pattern Recognition, p. 1,023, 1982.
- ] S. Marinai and P. Nesi, “Projection Based Segmentation of Musical Sheets”, Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR, (1999), pp. 515-518.
- ] D. Brodić and Z. Milivojević, “A New Approach to Water Flow Algorithm for Text Line Segmentation”, in Journal of Universal Computer Science, vol. 17, no. 1, (2011).
- M. Thungamani, P. R. Kumar, K. Prasanna and S. K. Rao, “Off-line handwritten kannada text recognition using support vector machine using zernike moments”, International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 11, (2011), pp. 128–135.
- J Pradeep, E.Srinivasan And S.Himavathi, Diagonal Based Feature Extraction For Handwritten Alphabets Recognition System Using Neural Network, International Journal of Computer Application, 8(9), 2010
- S. Madhvanath, G. Kim, and Venu Govindaraju, Senior Member, IEEE,” Chaincode Contour Processing for Handwritten Word Recognition”
- A. Majumdar, and B.B. Chaudhuri, Curvelet-based Multi SVM Recognizer for Offline Handwritten Bangla: A Major Indian Script. Proc. Ninth Intl. Conf. Document Analysis & Recognition, Curitiba (Brazil), pp. 491 – 495, 2007.
- Dr. Pankaj Agarwal, Hand-Written Character Recognition Using Kohonen Network, IJCST, 2(3), 112-115, 2011.
- S. W. Lee, Y. J. Kim, Direct Extraction of Topographic Features for Gray Scale Character Recognition, IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 17(7), 724-729, 1995.
- V.N. Vapnik, The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory, 2nd ed., Springer, 2000
- K.S. Prasanna Kumar ,Optical Character Recognition (OCR) for Kannada numerals using Left Bottom 1/4th segment minimum features extraction ,IJCTA,3(1),221-225,2012
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Aathira Manoj, Priyanka Borate, Pankaj Jain, Vidya Sanas, Rupali Pashte, "A Survey on Offline Handwriting Recognition Systems", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.253-257, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162284.php