Technology and new synthesis of new materials and their extreme applications and their adverse effects are worldwide, in recent scenario. This study tells us about the use of different polymers and their effect on environment. Due to the large number of applications of bisphenol-A (BPA), the human exposure routes are multiple. The study aimed to review shortly the food and non-food sources of BPA, and to evaluate their contribution to the human exposure. Food sources discussed here include epoxy resins, polycarbonate and other applications, such as paperboard and polyvinylchloride materials. Based on the available data for these exposure sources, it was concluded that the exposure to BPA is harmful to human and environment.
Polycarbonates, Epoxy, Epoxyphenolic, Polysulphone, Flame retardants, Cancer, Endocrine disrupting chemical, Immune Effects, Obesity.
- WT Tsai, CW Lai, TY Su 2006. Adsorption of bisphenol-A from aqueous solution onto minerals and carbon adsorbents. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 6,1350-1367.
- IUCLID (International Uniform ChemicaL Information Database), 2000. IUCLID Dataset, European Chemicals Bureau. Available online:http://esis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/doc/IUCLID/data_sheets/ 80057.pdf
- Dorn PB, Chou CS and Gentempo JJ, 1987. Degradation of bisphenol A in natural waters. Chemosphere, 16, 1501–1507.
- Cousins IT, Staples CA, Klecka GM and Mackay D, 2002. A multimedia assessment of the environmental fate of bisphenol A. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment, 8, 1107–1135.
- Lewis RJS, 2001. Hawley’s Condensed Chemical Dictionary. Wiley, New York, USA, 147.
- Vom Saal F and Hughes C. An extensive new literature concerning low-dose effects of bisphenol A shows the need for a new risk assessment. Environ. Health Persp, 2005; 117(4): 926-933. http://www.ehponline.org/members/2005/7713/7713.pdf. Accessed online June 4, 2009.
- IHS (Information Handling Services), 2013. Polycarbonate resins. Available online:http://www.ihs.com/products/chemical/planning/ceh/polycarbonate-resins.aspx
- Calafat AM, Weuve J, Ye X, Jia LT, Hu H, Ringer S, et al. 2009. Exposure to bisphenol A and other phenols in neonatal intensive care unit premature infants. Environmental Health Perspectives 117(4):639-644.
- KEMI (Swedish Chemicals Agency), 2012. Bisphenol A i leksaker och barnartiklar. 6/12. KEMI Sundbyberg, Sweden, 55 pp.
- KEMI (Swedish Chemicals Agency), 2013. [Emission of bisphenol A (BPA) from restored drinking water pipes—report from a governmental assignment.] 7/13. KEMI, Sundbyberg, Sweden, 86 pp.
- Biedermann S, Tschudin P and Grob K, 2010. Transfer of bisphenol A from thermal printer paper to the skin. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 398, 571–576.
- Van Landuyt KL, Nawrot T, Geebelen B, De Munck J, Snauwaert J, Yoshihara K, Scheers H, Godderis L, Hoet P and Van Meerbeek B, 2011. How much do resin-based dental materials release? A meta-analytical approach. Dental Materials, 27, 723–747.
- FAO/WHO (Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization), 2011. Toxicological and health aspects of bisphenol A. Proceedings of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Meeting on Bisphenol A (BPA), Ottawa, Canada, 59 pp.
- CEH (Chemical Economics Handbook), 2010. Bisphenol A. Marketing Research Report, July 2010; 619.5000A-619.5002D.
- BPA linked to prostate cancer, study shows March 3, 2014 University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center.
- J. R. Rochester, “Bisphenol A and human health: a review of the literature,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 42, pp. 132–155, 2013.
- Vandenberg LN, Chahoud I, Heindel JJ, Padmanabhan V, Paumgartten FJ, Schoenfelder G Urinary, circulating, and tissue biomonitoring studies indicate widespread exposure to bisphenol A. Environ Health Perspect. 2010 Aug; 118(8):1055-70
- W.V.Welshons, S.C.Nagel, and F.S. vom Saal,“Large effects from small exposures.III.Endocrine mechanisms mediating effects of Bisphenol A at levels of human exposure,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 6, supplement, pp. S56–S69, 2006.
- Rubin BS. Bisphenol A: an endocrine disruptor with widespread exposure and multiple effects. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2011 Oct; 127(1-2):27-34.
- Newbold RR, Padilla-Banks E, Jefferson WN, Heindel JJ (2008) Effects of endocrine disruptors on obesity. Int J Androl 31: 201–208. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2605.2007.00858.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Neetu Singh, "Exposure to Bisphenol-A Through Excess Use of Polymer, With Environmental Toxicity", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.454-457, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623100.php