To date quality and selling price of a tea mainly depends on its flavour, taste and texture but not on its medicinal properties though a Chinese scientist in 780 AD suggested and acclaimed tea as a divine remedy and supreme gift of God for preserving mental tranquillity. Different studies have been showed that L-theanine is the key component of tea which can make us mentally calm, cool and relaxed. At the same time it can protect us from different ailments. There is a notion that L-theanine is present only in green teas, but that is not accurate. Both black and green teas have been found to contain the compound. However, the L-theanine content varies dramatically from tea to tea. Therefore, in this backdrop we aim at quantization of L-theanine in black tea prepared from five different tea clonal varieties, e.g. AV2, B777, HV39, B157 and P312 of all the four flushes. Our study highlighted that black tea of first flush (Spring flush) have highest L-theanine content (~1.3%) than other three flushes. It was also observed that among the five clonal varieties released for Darjeeling, B777 contain highest amount of L-theanine than other clones under study. Thus L-theanine content in tea along with other bioactive components can be considered as an index of tea quality and price determination in tea auction.
Sirshendu Chatterjee, Ananya Chatterjee, Sandip K. Bandyopadhyay
L-Theanine, Camellia Sinensis L. O.Kuntze, Gyokuro Leaf, Basidiomycetes Mushroom Boletus Badius, Amazonian Tree Ilex Guayusa, GRAS, Camellia Sinensis
- Orihara, Yutaka; Furuya, Tsutomu (1990). "Production of theanine and other γ-glutamyl derivatives by Camellia sinensis cultured cells". Plant Cell Reports 9 (2): 65–8.
- Keiichro Muramatsu et al. (2000). Health science of tea. JSSP, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anhui Agricultural University (1994). Tea Biochemistry. Agricultural Press, Beijing, China.
- Sakato, Y. (1950). The chemical constituents of tea: 1. A new amide theanine, J. Agri. Chem. Soc. 23: 262.
- Casimir, J.; Jadot, J.; Renard, M. (1960). "Séparation et caractérisation de la N-éthyl-γ-glutamine à partir de Xerocomus badius" [Separation and characterization of N-ethyl-gamma-glutamine from Xerocomus badius]. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (in French) 39 (3): 462–8.
- Masstaka N, Kanako M and Yukako H; L-Theanine elicits an umami taste with Inosine 5’-monophosphate; Biosci. Biotechnol.Biochem.; 72(11); 3015-3017(2008).
- Siamwala JH, Dias PM, Majumder S, Joshi MK, Sinkar VP, Banerjee G, Chatterjee S. L-theanine promotes nitric oxide production in endothelial cells through eNOS phosphorylation. J Nutr Biochem. 2013 Mar; 24(3):595-605.
- Susan S. Percival, Jack F. Bukowskiand John Milner; Bioactive Food Components that Enhance γδT Cell Function May Play a Role in Cancer Prevention;American Society for Nutrition. J. Nutr. 138: 1–4( 2008).
- Sugiyama T and Sadzuka Y; Theanine and glutamate transporter inhibitors enhance the antitumor efficacy of chemotherapeutic agents; BiochimBiophysActa; 1653(2):47-59(Dce 5; 2003).
- Friedman M, Mackey BE, Kim HJ, Lee IS, Lee KR, Lee SU, et al, Structure–activity relationships of tea compounds against human cancer cells. J Agric Food Chem 55:243–253 (2007).
- ZhangG,MiuraYandYagasaki K, Inhibitory effects of theanine and sera from theanine-fed rats on receptor-mediated cancer cell invasion beneath mesothelial-cell monolayers. Cytotechnology 36:195–200 (2001).
- Quan V Vuong, Michael C Bowyer and Paul D Roach;L-Theanine: properties, synthesis and isolation from tea;J Sci Food Agric; 91: 1931–1939(2011).
- Kimura K, Ozeki M, Juneja LR, Ohira H; L-Theanine reduces psychological and physiological stress response; BiolPsychol; 74(1):39-45(Jan; 2007).Epub 2006 Aug 22.
- Lee SI, Kim HJ and Boo YC; Effect of green tea and (-)-epigallocatechingallate on ethanol-induced toxicity in HepG2 cells; Phytother Res; 22(5):669-74(May; 2008).
- Li G, Ye Y, Kang J, Yao X, Zhang Y, Jiang W, Gao M, Dai Y, Xin Y, Wang Q, Yin Z, Luo L; l-Theanine prevents alcoholic liver injury through enhancing the antioxidant capability of hepatocytes; Food ChemToxicol; 50(2):363-72(Feb; 2012).Epub 2011 Oct 14.
- Michael R. Lyon, Mahendra P. Kapoor and Lekh R. Juneja; The Effects of L-Theanine (Suntheanine®) on Objective Sleep Quality in Boys with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): a Randomized, Double-blind,Placebo-controlled Clinical Trial; Altern Med Rev;16(4):348-354(2011).
- Ritsner MS, Miodownik C, Ratner Y, Shleifer T, Mar M, Pintov L, Lerner V; L-theanine relieves positive, activation, and anxiety symptoms in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: an 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 2-center study; J Clin Psychiatry;72(1):34-42(Jan; 2011).Epub 2010 Nov 30.
- Miyagawa K, Hayashi Y, Kurihara S andMaeda A, Co-administration of L-cystine and L-theanine enhances efficacy of influenza vaccination in elderly persons: Nutritional status-dependent immunogenicity. GeriatrGerontolInt 8:243–250 (2008).
- ShigekazuKurihara, TakenoriHiraoka, MasahisaAkutsu, EijiSukegawa, Makoto Bannai and Susumu Shibahara; Effects of L-Cystine and L-Theanine Supplementation on the Common Cold: A Randomized, Double-Blind, and Placebo-Controlled Trial; Journal of Amino Acids; Volume 2010, Article ID 307475, 7 pages.
- Arati B. Kamath, Lisheng Wang, Hiranmoy Das, Lin Li, Vernon N. Reinhold and Jack F. Bukowski; Antigens in tea-beverage prime human Vγ2Vδ2 T cells in vitro and in vivo for memory and nonmemory antibacterial cytokine responses;PNAS; vol. 100 ; no. 10; 6009–6014(May 13; 2003).
- Yokogoshi H, Kobayashi M, Mochizuki M, Terashima T. Effect of theanine, γglutamylethylamide on brain monoamines and striatal dopamine release in conscious rats; Neurochem Res; 23:667-673(1998).
- Carolyn Perrini, CLS, CNC; L-Theanine: How a Unique Anxiety Reducer and Mood Enhancer Increases Alpha Waves and Alertness.
- Park SK, Jung IC, Lee WK, Lee YS, Park HK, Go HJ, Kim K, Lim NK, Hong JT, Ly SY and Rho SS; A combination of green tea extract and l-theanine improves memory and attention in subjects with mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled study; J Med Food.; Apr;14(4):334-43(2011)
- Zarse K, Jabin S and Ristow M; L-Theanine extends lifespan of adult Caenorhabditiselegans;Eur J Nutr. 2012 Mar 16.
- Chatterjee S, Chatterjee A, Roy S, Bera B and Bandyopadhyay SK; L-Theanine Healed NSAID-induced Gastric Ulcer by Modulating Pro/antioxidant Balance in Gastric Ulcer Margin; J Nat Med. 2014 (Accepted).
- "FDA confirms GRAS status of Suntheanine". NutraIngredients-USA.com. March 22, 2007.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sirshendu Chatterjee, Ananya Chatterjee, Sandip K. Bandyopadhyay, "Seasonal variation of L-Theanine Content in Tea: A Study on Darjeeling Black Tea", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.522-524, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623130.php