The explosive growth of data produced by different devices and applications has contributed to the abundance of big data. To process such amounts of data efficiently, strategies such as De-duplication has been employed. Among the three different levels of de-duplication named as file level, block level and chunk level, De-duplication at chunk level also known as byte level is the most popular and widely deployed. Many chunking techniques are also available which are categorised as Whole File Chunking, Fixed Size Chunking (FSC) and Content Defined Chunking (CDC). The objective of this paper is to analyse the performance of different existing chunking techniques based on their characteristics. In this study the significance of each technique provides insight to enable researchers understand and select a technique for their research.
Deduplication, Chunking, Boundary shift problem, Deduplication Ratio
- KaveEshghi, HsiuKhuernTang,"A Framework for Analyzing and Improving Content-Based Chunking Algorithms", Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, pp. 1-10, February 25, 2005.
- A.Muthitacharoen, B.Chen, D.Mazieres,"A low bandwidth network file system",In proceedings of the 18th ACM Symposium on Operating SystemsPrinciples(SOSP’01), pp. 174-187, Chateau Lake Louise,Banff, Canada, October 2001.
- Zhenqi Wang, Lisha Cao, “Implementation and comparison of Two Hash Algorithms", International Conference on Computational and Information Sciences, IEEE, pp. 721-725,2013
- Guanlin Lu, Yu Jin, David H.C. Du, “Frequency Based Chunking for Data De-Duplication", 18th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, pp. 287-296,2010
- Yunhe Zhang, Weiling Wang Ting Yin, Jiang Yuan,"Novel Frequency Based Chunking for Data Deduplication",Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 278-280, pp. 2048-2053,2013
- IderLkhagvasuren, Jung Min So, Jeong Gun Lee, Jin Kim, Young WoongKo,"Design and Implementation of Storage System Using Byte-index Chunking Scheme",International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications Vol.8, No.1, pp.33-42, 2014
- IderLkhagvasuren, Jung Min So, Jeong Gun Lee, Jin Kim, Young WoongKo, “ Multi-level Byte Index Chunking Mechanism for File Synchronization"International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications Vol.8, No.3 , pp.339-350, 2014
- Youjip Won, Kyeongyeol Lim, Jaehong Min," MUCH: Multithreaded Content-Based File Chunking", Transactions on Computers, IEEE, VOL. 64, NO. 5, MAY, pp. 1375-1388, 2015
- Chuanshuai Yu, Chengwei Zhang, Yiping Mao, Fulu Li," Leap-based Content Defined Chunking--Theory and Implementation", IEEE,31st Symposium on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies(MSST), pp.1-12, 2015
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Harshita Sharma, "Survey of Research on Chunking Techniques", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.565-568, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623152.php