Bufferbloat is a problem in a packet-switched network which can occur due to increase in the size of buffer with increase in internet traffic. This creates high latency in network which ultimately degrades the performance of the network. The usage of oversized buffer in the networks results in increasing the queuing delay. Researcher has made two types of suggestions to solve the bufferbloat problem. One is End to End (E2E) congestion control and second is deployment of Active Queue Management (AQM) techniques. This research paper focuses on comparative analysis of Active Queue Management Technique CoDel (Controlled Delay) and Congestion Control Technique LEDBAT (Low Extra Delay Background Transport) for solving bufferbloat problem. This paper compares CoDel with LEDBAT using performance metrics such as end to end delay; queuing delay and queue loss using network simulator-2 (ns-2) and the graphs are drawn using X-graph. The simulation results revealed that LEDBAT has efficiently overcome bufferbloat problem as compared to CODEL by having less end to end delay, less queuing delay and no queue loss.
Jyoti Chawla, Shailja Kumari
Bufferbloat, Active queue management, Controlled Delay, Low Extra Delay Background Transport, Network Simulator-2
- Hashim Ali,Samiullah Khan,and Muhammad Quaid, "Comparative Analysis of Controlled Delay (CoDel) with Deficit Round Robin (DRR) to Overcome Bufferbloat Problem in Wired Network" ,International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology,E-ISSN 2277 – 4106, P-ISSN 2347 – 5161, Vol.5, No.5 (Oct 2015)
- S. Shalunov, "Low extra delay background transport (ledbat)," IETF Draft, Mar. 2009.
- Dario Rossi, "LEDBAT: The New BitTorrent Congestion Control Protocol", Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN),2010 Proceedings of 19th International Conference,Page(s):1-6
- Tanvi Sharma, "Controlling Queue Delay (CoDel) to counter the Bufferbloat Problem in Internet", International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology,E-ISSN 2277 – 4106, P-ISSN 2347 – 5161, Vol.4, No.3 (June 2014)
- Atheer Flayh Hassan, Suhaidi Hassan, and Suki Arif, "Fairness in Active Queue Management Algorithms:A Review", The 4th International Conference on Internet Applications, Protocols and Services (NETAPPS2015).
- Shakeel Ahmad, Adli Mustafa, Bashir Ahmad, Arjamand Bano And ALSammarraieHosam,"Comparative Study Of Congestion Control Techniques In High Speed Networks",International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security,Vol.6, No. 2, 2009
- Anita Yadav,Pratap Singh Patwal,"Analyzing the performance of RED, RARED and CoDel in Active Queue Management", International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science & Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 4,2014
- B. Subramani, Dr. T. Karthikeyan, "A Review on Congestion Control", International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, ISSN (Print) : 2319-5940,ISSN (Online) : 2278-1021,Vol. 3, Issue 1, January 2014
- Jens Schwardmann, David Wagner, and Mirja Kuhlewind, "Evaluation of ARED, CoDel and PIE",Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IKR) University of Stuttgart, Germany,2014.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Jyoti Chawla, Shailja Kumari, "Comparative Analysis of CODEL and LEDBAT to Overcome Bufferbloat Problem", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.545-550, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623156.php