This paper use a suitable power converter topology for a Wind Energy Conversion system with Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) for stand-alone operations. The present work presents the system in which a PMSG feeds an isolated load through a closed loop boost converter. The output voltage and frequency of the PMSG is variable in nature due to non uniform wind velocities. The variable ac output is rectified by a diode rectifier and maintained constant by a boost converter. The boost converter is provided with a closed loop feedback control, which is designed using PID controller. In this controller the output voltage is continuously sensed and duty ratio of the switch is varied to maintain the DC link voltage constant. The converter output is fed to three phase inverter which employs a sine PWM technique, the output of which is fed to the load. The power converters and together with independent control systems can effectively improve the output voltage and frequency of the wind PMSG feeding an isolated load. The whole system is simulated using MATLAB/ Simulink and the results are presented to demonstrate the veracity of the developed control scheme.
Smitkumar S. Tandel, Jay S. Tandel, Krishnakant D. Tandel
Permanent Magnet synchronous Generator (PMSG), Closed loop boost converter, Three phase inverter, Three phase diode bridge rectifier.
- G.Vijayalakshmi and M.Arutchelvi, “Design and Development of Controller for PMSG based Wind Energy Conversion System,” International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies, 2014.
- M. E. Haque, K. M. Muttaqi, and M. Negnevitsky, “ Control of a stand-alone variable speed wind turbine with a permanent magnet synchronous generator,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, no. 1, January/February 2010.
- Rajveer mittal, K.S.Sandhu and D.K.Jain, “ An overview of some important issues related to wind energy conversion system (WECS),” International journal of environmental science and development, Vol. 1, no. 4, ISSN: 2010-0264, October 2010.
- Rajib Datta and V. T. Ranganathan, “ A Method of tracking the peak power points for a variable speed wind energy conversion system,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 18, no. 1, March 2003
- C. N. Bhende, S. Mishra and Siva Ganesh Malla, “ Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator-Based Standalone Wind Energy Supply System,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 2, No. 4, October 2011.
- Neeraj Pareta & Naveen Sen, “ Modelling and Simulation of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motoer Based Wind Energy Conversion System,” International Journal of Emerging Research in Management & Technology,Volume-3, Issue-7, July 2014.
- Yi lay Nge, Zaw Min Naing, Kyaw Soe Lwin, Maung Maung Latt, “ Design Implementation of Boost Converter for Variable Speed Small Wind Turbine,” international journal of scientific engineering & technology research, ISSN 2319-8885 Vol.03,Issue.15 July-2014.
- K. Prechanon, “Mathematical Model of the PMSG based on Wind Energy Conversion System,” International Research Journal of Innovative Engineering, Volume1, Issue 3, March 2015.
- Mujaddid Morshed Chowdhury, “Modelling and Control of Direct Drive Variable Speed Wind Turbine with Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator,” University of Tasmania, June 2014.
- Mahmoud M. Hussein, Tomonobu Senjyu, Mohamed Orabi, Mohamed A. A. Wahab and Mohamed M. Hamada, “ Control of a Stand-Alone Variable Speed Wind Energy Supply System,” Applied Sciences, Vol.3, pp-437-456, 2013.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Smitkumar S. Tandel, Jay S. Tandel, Krishnakant D. Tandel, "Modeling and Simulation of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Wind Generator Based Stand-alone System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.83-88, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162317.php