Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) provides an effective and low complexity means of eliminating intersymbol interference for transmission over frequency selective fading channels. This technique has received a lot of interest in mobile communication research as the radio channel is usually frequency selective and time variant. In OFDM system, modulation may be coherent or differential. Channel state information (CSI) is required for the OFDM receiver to perform coherent detection or diversity combining, if multiple transmit and receive antennas are deployed. In practice, CSI can be reliably estimated at the receiver by transmitting pilots along with data symbols. Pilot symbol assisted channel estimation is especially attractive for wireless links, where the channel is time-varying. When using differential modulation there is no need for a channel estimate but its performance is inferior to coherent system. In this thesis we investigate and compare various efficient pilot based channel estimati on schemes for OFDM systems. The channel estimation can be performed by either inserting pilot tones into all subcarriers of OFDM symbols with a specific period or inserting pilot tones into each OFDM symbol. In this present study, two major types of pilot arrangement such as block- type and comb-type pilot have been focused employing Least Square Error (LSE) and Minimum Mean Square Error (MMSE) channel estimators. Block type pilot sub-carriers is especially suitable for slow-fading radio channels whereas comb type pilots provide better resistance to fast fading channels. Also comb type pilot arrangement is sensitive to frequency selectivity when comparing to block type arrangement. The channel estimation algorithm based on comb type pilots is divided into pilot signal estimation and channel interpolation. The pilot signal estimation is based on LSE and MMSE criteria, together with channel interpolation using linear interpolation and spline cubic interpolation. The symbol error rate (SER) performances of OFDM system for both block type and comb type pilot subcarriers are presented in the work.
Anand Kumar, Ranjan Kumar
Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing, Channel state information, Least Square Error , Minimum Mean Square Error , Advanced Mobile Phone Services
- Rappaport, T., Wireless Communication: Principles and Practice. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1996.
- Chang, R., "Synthesis of band limited Orthogonal Signals for multichannel data transmission." Bell System Technical Journal. vol. 46, (December 1996): pp. 1775-96.
- Proakis, J., Digital Communications. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998.
- Torrance, J., and Hanzo, L., "Comparative study of pilot symbol assisted modem systems." Proceedings of IEEE conference on Radio Receivers and Associated Systems, Bath UK, (September 1995): pp. 36-41.
- Weinstein, S. and Ebert, P., "Data Transmission by Frequency Division Multiplexing using the Discrete Fourier Transform." IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. vol. COM-19, (October 1971): pp. 628-634.
- Bello, P. A., "Selective Fading limitations of the KATHRYN modem and some system design considerations." IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. vol.COM-13, (1965): pp. 320-333.
- Zimmerman, M. and Krisch, A., "The AN/GSC-10/KATHRYN/ variable rate data modem for HF radio." IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. vol.CCM-15,(April 1967): pp.197-205.
- Hirosaki, B., "An analysis of automatic equalizers for orthogonally multiplexed QAM systems," IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. vol. COM-28, (January 1980):pp. 73-83.
- Peled, A. and Ruiz, A., "Frequency Domain Data Transmission using Reduced Computational Complexity Algorithms." Proceedings of International Conference on Acoustics. vol. 3, (April 1980): pp. 964-967.
- Ketel, I., "The Multitone Channel." IEEE Transaction on Communication. vol. 37, (February 1989): pp. 119-124.
- Fazel, K. and Fettis, G., "Performance of an Efficient Parallel Data Transmission System." IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. (December 1967): pp. 805-813.
- Meyr, H., Moeneclaey, M. and Fechtel, S. A., Digital Communicatio Receivers. John Wiley and Sons, 1998.
- Li, Y., Seshadri, N. and Ariyavisitakul, S., "Channel Estimation for OFDM systems with transmitter diversity in mobile wireless channels." IEEE J. Select. Areas Communication (March 1999): pp. 461-470.
- Moher, M. L. and Lodge, J. H., "TCMP- a modulation and coding strategy for Rician fading channels," IEEE Trans. Communication Technology. (December 1967): pp.805-813.
- Aghamohammadi, A., Meyr, H., and Asheid, G., "A new method for phase synchronization and automatic gain control of linearly modulated signals on frequency flat fading channels," IEEE Trans. Communication Technology. (January 1991): pp.25-29.
- Cavers, J. K., "An analysis of Pilot symbol assisted modulation for Rayeigh fading channels." IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology. vol. 40(4), (November 1991):pp. 686-693.
- Moon, JAe Kyoung and Choi, Song In., "Performance of channel estimation methods for OFDM systems in multipath fading channels." IEEE Transaction on Communication Electronics. vol.46, (February 2000): pp. 161-170.
- Tufvesson, F., Faulkner, M., Hoeher, P. and Edfors, O., "OFDM Time and Frequency Synchronization by spread spectrum pilot technique." 8th IEEE Communication Theory Mini Conference in conjunction to ICC’99, Vancouver, Canada, (June 1999): pp. 115-119.
- Tufvesson, F. and Hoeher, P., "Channel Estimation using Superimposed pilot Sequences," IEEE Trans. Communication (March 2000).
- Moon, T. K., "The Expectation Maximixzation Algorithm." IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. vol. 13, (November 1996): pp. 47-60.
- Xiaoqiand, Ma., Kobayashi, H. and Schwartz, Stuart C., "An EM Based Estimation of OFDM Signals." IEEE Transaction Communication. (2002).
- Edfors, O., Sandell, M.,Van de Beek, J. J., Wilson, S. K. and Boriesson, P. O., "Analysis of DFT-based channel estimators for OFDM." Vehicular Technology Conference. (July 1995).
- Coleri, S., Ergen, M., Puri, A. and Bahai, A., "Channel Estimation Techniques based on Pilot Arrangement in OFDM systems," IEEE Transaction on Broadcasting. (September 2002).
- Edfors, O., Sandell, M., Van de Beek, J. J., Wilson, S. K. and Boriesson, P. O., "OFDM Channel Estimation by Singular Value Decomposition." IEEE Transaction on Communication. vol. 46(7), (July 1998): pp. 931-939.
- Wang, X., Ray Liu, K. J., "OFDM Channel Estimation based on time frequency polynomial model of fading multipath channels." IEEE Transaction on Communication. (June 2001).
- Julia Fernadez-Getino Garcia, M., Edfors, O. and Paez-Borrallo, Jose M., "Frequency offset correction for coherent OFDM in mobile cellular systems." Proceedings of IEEE. (2001).
- Tufvesson, F. and Maseng, T., "Pilot Assisted Channel Estimation for OFDM in Mobile Cellular Systems," Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Phoenix USA, (May 1997):pp. 1639-1643.
- Hieh, MEng-Han and Wei, Che-Ho, "Channel Estimation for OFDM Systems based on COMB-Type Pilot arrangement in frequency selective fading channels." IEEE Transaction Communication. (1998).
- Van de Beek, J. J., Edfors, O., Sandell, M., Wilson, S.K., and Borjesson, P. O., "On Channel Estimation in OFDM Systems." Proceedings IEEE 45th Vehicular Technology Conference. Chicago, IL., (July 1995): pp. 815-819.
- Fazel, K. and Fettwis, G., "Performance of an efficient parallel Data Transmission System." IEEE Transaction Communication Technology. (December 1967): pp. 805-813.
- Warner, W. and C. L. Leung C. L., "OFDM/FM frame synchronization for mobile radio data communication." IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology. vol. 42, (August 1993): pp. 302-313.
- Cimini, L. J., "Analysis and simulation of a digital mobile channel using orthogonal frequency division multiplexing." IEEE Transaction Communication. vol. 33, no. 7, (July 1985): pp. 665–675.
- Li, Y., "Pilot-symbol-aided channel estimation for OFDM in wireless systems." IEEE Transaction Vehicular Technology. vol. 49, no. 4,(Jul. 2000).
- Bahai, A. R. S. and Saltzberg, B. R., Multi-Carrier Digital Communications: Theory and Applications of OFDM. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, 1999.
- Cai, Xiaodong and Giannakis, Georgious B., "Error Probability Minimizing Pilots for OFDM with M-PSK Modulation Over Rayleigh-Fading Channels." IEEE Transaction. Vehicular Technology. vol. 53, no.1, (January 2004): pp. 146-145.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Anand Kumar, Ranjan Kumar, "Channel Estimation in OFDM Systems", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.619-629, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623170.php