In any manufacturing process the process parameters plays the vital role in manufacturing of the product which has the direct impact on the product and process also resulting in the burdensome loss to the industries implementing those processes. In resistance spot welding process the weld quality depends on a large degree of the weld penetration and weld geometry which is largely influenced by various process parameters in the process. Inadequacy of weld penetration and weld bead dimensions may lead to failure of the welded structure. Also the geometry of the flat surfaces may damage due to inadequate or incorrect input parameters. This paper is a study of optimization of process parameters using Taguchi methodology. Experimentation is carried out with the settings obtained by design of experiments were considered for the study. Response as weld time indicating weld quality is studied and mathematical model were developed correlating the important controllable spot welding process parameters like Voltage (V), wire diameter(D) and welding current (I), with weld bead time. Using these models the direct and interaction effects of the process parameters on weld bead time were studied and further the process parameters were optimized. The obtained results of mathematical model helped in selecting quickly the process parameters to achieve the desired quality.
Sainath R Ghuge, Prashant B Wakchaure
Resistance Spot Welding, Taguchi Methodology, Design of Experiments, Process Parameters
- Aghakhani M."Parametric Optimization of Gas Metal Arc Welding Process by Taguchi Method on Weld Dilution", 'International Journal of Modeling and Optimization', Vol. 1, No. 3,2011,pp.216-220.
- Mostafa N. B. "Optimisation of welding parameters for weld penetration in FCAW", 'Journal of Achievement in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering',Vol.16, Issue1-2, 2006, pp.132-138.
- Sapkal S. V."Parametric Optimization of MIG Welding Using Taguchi Design Method",' International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies',E-ISSN2249-8974,Vol1, Issue IV,2012, pp.28-30.
- Shukla B. A."Experimental Study of CO2 Arc Welding Parameters on Weld Strength for AISI 1022 Steel Plates Using Response Surface Methodology", 'Internatial Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology' Vol. 4,Issue 6,2013, pp. 37-42.
- Jadeja D. V. "A Review On Parametric Optimization By Factorial Design Approach Of Mag-Co2 Welding Process",' International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications' Vol 3, Issue 2, 2013, pp.420-424.
- Patel N. S. "A Review on Parametric Optimization of Tig Welding",' International Journal of Computational Engineering Research', Vol 4, Issue 1,2014,pp.27-31.
- Narayan Lalit K."Optimization of CO2 Welding Process Parameters for Weld Bead Penetration of SS41 Mild Steel Using Response Surface Methodology",'International Journal of research In Mechanical engineering & technology', Vol 4, Issue 1,2014, pp.27-30.
- Shoeb Mohd."Effect of MIG Welding Input Process Parameters on Weld Bead Geometry on HSLA Steel",' International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology', Vol 5,2013, pp.201-212.
- Kanti M. K."Optimization of Weld Bead Penetration in Pulsed Gas Metal Arc Welding using Genetic Algorithm",' International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering', Vol 3, Issue 3, 2013, pp.368-371.
- Pal Amit "MIG Welding Parametric Optimization Using Taguchi's Orthogonal Array and Analysis of Variance", 'International Journal of Research in Engineering Science & Technology', Vol 4, Issue 1, 2015, pp. 211-217.
- Singla Manoj,"Parametric Optimization of Gas Metal Arc Welding Processes by Using Factorial Design Approach", 'Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering', Vol. 9, 2010, pp. 353-363.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sainath R Ghuge, Prashant B Wakchaure, "Parametric Optimization of Resistance Spot Welding Process", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.644-649, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623173.php