This review of the literature gives information about stress and its adverse effects on physical and mental health of an individual. Stress is ever-present universal feature of life. It causes many health problems like heart diseases, digestion problem, sleep problem and depression. Psychological scale like, Effort-Reward imbalance scale (ERI), Depression, Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS), Occupational Stress Index (OSI), Perceived Stress Sale (PSS) are used to infer stress in terms of behavioral change. Various physiological parameters that can be used to monitor stress are Heart Rate (HR), Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) and Electroencephalography (EEG). However, HR and GSR showed the 99.5% of stress detection accuracy. Moreover methods have also been indentified for the prevention of stress at workplace.
Anuradha Kumari, Vivek Sharma, Neelam Rup Prakash, Jagjit S. Randhawa
Stress, Physiological Parameters, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure, Psychological Scale, GSR, HR, EEG, DASS, OSI, PSS, ERI, APA.
- Avey JB, Luthans F, Jensen SM. Psychological capital: A positive resource for combating employee stress and turnover. Human resource management. 2009 Sep 1;48(5):677-93.
- Melchior M, Caspi A, Milne BJ, Danese A, Poulton R, Moffitt TE. Work stress precipitates depression and anxiety in young, working women and men. Psychological medicine. 2007 Aug 1;37(08):1119-29.
- Rehman H. Occupational stress and a functional area of an organization. International Review of Business Research Papers. 2008 Sep;4(4):163-73.
- Sowa CJ, May KM, Niles SG. Occupational stress within the counseling profession: Implications for counselor training. Counselor Education and Supervision. 1994 Sep 1;34 (1):19-29.
- Siegrist J, Starke D, Chandola T, Godin I, Marmot M, Niedhammer I, Peter R. The measurement of effort–reward imbalance at work: European comparisons. Social science & medicine. 2004 Apr 30;58 (8):1483-99.
- Henry JD, Crawford JR. The short‐form version of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS‐21): Construct validity and normative data in a large non‐clinical sample. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2005 Jun 1;4 4 (2):227-39.
- Srivastava AK, Singh AP. Manual of the occupational stress index. Varanasi, UP: Manovaigyanik Parikcchan Sansthan. 1981.
- Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein R. A global measure of perceived stress. Journal of health and social behavior. 1983 Dec 1:385-96.
- M. shiva kumar.” A studyon occupational strss among IT professionals,Chennai: International journal of enterprise innovation management studies. 2011 dec 1:453-92.
- de Santos Sierra A, Ávila CS, Casanova JG, Pozo GB. A stress-detection system based on physiological signals and fuzzy logic. Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on. 2011 Oct;58(10):4857-65.
- Wagner J, Kim J, André E. From physiological signals to emotions: Implementing and comparing selected methods for feature extraction and classification. InMultimedia and Expo, 2005. ICME 2005. IEEE International Conference on 2005 Jul 6 (pp. 940-943). IEEE.
- Healey JA, Picard RW. Detecting stress during real-world driving tasks using physiological sensors. Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on. 2005 Jun;6(2):156-66.
- Kulish V, Sourin A, Sourina O. Human electroencephalograms seen as fractal time series: Mathematical analysis and visualization. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2006 Mar 31;36(3):291-302.
- Karthikeyan P, Murugappan M, Yaacob S. Detection of Human stress using Short-Term ECG and HRV signals. Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology. 2013 Apr;13(02):1350038.
- Kulic D, Croft E. Anxiety detection during human-robot interaction. InIntelligent Robots and Systems, 2005.(IROS 2005). 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on 2005 Aug 2 (pp. 616-621). IEEE.
- Sharawi MS, Shibli M, Sharawi MI. Design and implementation of a human stress detection system: A biomechanics approach. InMechatronics and Its Applications, 2008. ISMA 2008. 5th International Symposium on 2008 May 27 (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Guang-yuan L, Min H. Emotion recognition of physiological signals based on adaptive hierarchical genetic algorithm. In2009 World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering 2009 Mar 31 (pp. 670-674). IEEE.
- Costa G. Occupational stress and stress prevention in air traffic control. International Labour Office; 1996.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Anuradha Kumari, Vivek Sharma, Neelam Rup Prakash, Jagjit S. Randhawa, "Methods for Stress Assessment: A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.761-764, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623191.php