The present study deals with aquatic avifauna of two freshwater bodies of Gogi village, (Local name-Kelaginakere and Melinakere), Shahapur Taluk, Yadgir district, Karnataka. The study area earlier was known for mining of Uranium (U235). Study was undertaken for a period of one year and monthly collections were made from February 2014 to March 2015. Point transect technique method were used for the survey purpose. A total of 39 species of birds belonging to 08 orders and 15 families were recorded. The Species consisting 18 residents, 21 winter migrants were identified. Among the birds recorded in this study area, 15 species were insectivorus, 3 omnivorus, 20 piscivorous, 1 carnivorus, and 2 grainivorus respectively.
Manjunath K, Ravikiran K
Avifauna, Gogi Reservoir, Shahpur, Yadgir
- Ali, S. and Ripley, S. D. 1968-74. The Handbook of Birds of India and Pakistan. Ten volumes. Oxford University Press, New Delhi
- Basavarajappa S, 2006. Avifauna of agro-ecosystems of maiden area of Karnataka. Zoos’ Print J. 21: 2217-2219.
- Blair RB, 1999. Birds and butterflies along an urban gradient: Surrogate taxa for assessing biodiversity? Ecol. Appl., 9: 164-170.
- Custer, T.W. and R.G. Osborne, 1977. Wading birds as biological indicators: 1975 Colony survey. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,Washington, D.C.
- Deepa RS and Ramachandra TV. 1999. Impact of urbanization in the Interconnectivity of wetlands. Paper presented at the National Symposium on Remote Sensing Applicationa for Natural Resources: Retrospective and Perspective (XIX-XXI 1999), Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Bangalore.
- Gaston AJ, 1975. Methods for estimating bird populations. J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc., 72: 271-283
- Gibbs JP, 1993. The importance of small wetlands for the persistence of local populations of wetland-associated animals. Wetlands, 13: 25-31.
- Grimmett R and T Inskipp, 2007. Birds of Southern India. Om Books International, New Delhi, India 10. Hardy AR, http://www.maplandia.com/india/karnataka/gulbarga/yadgir/2015
- Mark V. Hoyer 2013 Lake Management and Aquatic Birds, fishwild life management.
- Prasanna S Joshi. (2012). An annotated checklist of aquatic avifauna of Rajura, Godada and Dhanora lakes of Buldhana district of (M.S) India, Science Research Reporter. 2(1):30-33.
- K, Manjunath. K, Rajasamarsen K, Shravankumar. N and Amit Kumara. K. (2015). A study on icthyofauna of fresh water of Gogi, Shahapur taluk, Yadgir district.3(9).25-30.
- Sale and Bermuller (1998). Manual of wildlife Techniques for India. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Dehradun
- Thakur, M.L. (2008). Studies on status and diversity of avifauna in Himachal Pradesh. Ph.D. thesis, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, India. PP306
- Verner, J. 1985. Assesment of counting techniques. Current Orinthology. 2: 247-302.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Manjunath K, Ravikiran K, "A Preliminary Survey of Aquatic Avifauna of Fresh Water Bodies of GOGI, Shahapur Taluk, Yadgir", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.588-592, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623206.php