License Plate Recognition (LPR) is the extraction of vehicle license plate information from still images or frame sequences (videos). Character segmentation & recognition has long been a critical area of the OCR process. The characters are detected in the order defined by the matching quality. In this paper three main procedures watershed, thresholding and hidden markov model based Viterbi algorithm was used to perform license plate segmentation and recognition tasks. The watershed transformation with thresholding algorithm based on the gradient approach gives good results for segmentation of characters. This is mainly designed for Indian Car license plate. The procedure follows a simple and effective way to segment and recognize the characters. This paper also presents extensive experiments using real video sequences to verify the proposed method.
Kaushalya Bakde, Suyash Agrawal
License plate recognition (LPR), Watershed algorithm, Thresholding, Hidden markov , Viterbi algorithm, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) for cars.
- Veena M.N, Vasudev T :A Parallel Computing Model for Segmentation of Vehicle Number Plate through Watershed and Visualization Technique. In the International Journal Of Engineering And Science (IJES) Volume 4 Issue 6 Pages PP.63-68 June – 2015 ISSN (e): 2319 – 1813 ISSN (p): 2319 – 1805
- Hongyuan Wang, Chunwan Yuan : License Plate Location Method Based on Integrated Features and Marker-Controlled Watershed algorithm 2010 International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering
- Bahman Rashidi : Implementation of a High Speed Technique for Character Segmentation of License Plate Based on Thresholding Algorithm. November 2012 DOI: 10.5815/ijigsp.2012.12.02.
- Khaoula Elagouni, Christophe Garcia, Franck Mamalet, Pascale Sebillot. Text Recognition in Multimedia Documents: A Study of two Neural-based OCRs Using and Avoiding Character Segmentation. International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, IJDAR, 2014, 17 (1), pp.19-31.
- Gee-Sern Hsu, Jiun-Chang Chen, and Yu-Zu Chung : Application-Oriented License Plate Recognition. In IEEE Transactions on Vehicular technology, vol.62, NO. 2, February 2013.
- Christos Nikolaos E. Anagnostopoulos, Ioannis E. Anagnostopoulos, Vassili Loumos, and Eleftherios Kayafas : A License Plate-Recognition Algorithm for Intelligent Transportation System Applications. In IEEE Transactions on Intelligent transportation system vol. 7, no. 3, September 2006.
- Yunbo Rao : Automatic vehicle recognition in multiple cameras for video surveillance. In Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg Vis Comput (2015) 31:271–280.
- Lucjan Janowski, Piotr Kozłowski, Remigiusz Baran, Piotr Romaniak , Andrzej Glowacz, Tomasz Rusc : Quality assessment for a visual and automatic license plate recognition. In open access at Springer, 30 August 2012.
- Shen-Zheng Wang, Student Member, IEEE, and Hsi-Jian Lee : A Cascade Framework for a Real-Time Statistical Plate Recognition System. In IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security Vol.2, No. 2, June 2007.
- Amandeep Kaur, Aayushi: Image Segmentation Using Watershed Transform. In International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) ISSN: 2231-2307, Volume-4, Issue-1, March 2014
- Siti Norul Huda Sheikh Abdullah, Farshid Pirahan Siah: Multi-threshold approach for license plate recognition system. In World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering Vol: 4, No:12, 2010
- J.Pradeep, E. Srinivasan :Diagonal Feature Extraction Based Handwritten Character System Using Neural Network. In International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 8– No.9, October 2010
- Ying Wen, Yue Lu, Member, IEEE, Jingqi Yan, Zhenyu Zhou, Karen M. von Deneen, and Pengfei Shi, Senior Member, IEEE An Algorithm for License Plate Recognition Applied to Intelligent Transportation System in IEEE Transactions On Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 12, No. 3, September 2011.
- Shan Du, Mahmoud Ibrahim, Mohamed Shehata, Members, IEEE Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR): A State-of-the-Art Review IEEE Transactions On Circuits & Systems For Video Technology, Vol. 23, No. 2, February 2013.
- Xin Fan, Member, IEEE, and Guoliang Fan, Senior Member, IEEE : Graphical Models for Joint Segmentation and Recognition of License Plate Characters. In IEEE Signal Processing letters, Vol. 16, No. 1, January 2009.
- M. S. Sarfraz ,A. Shahzad, Muhammad A. Elahi, M. Fraz, I. Zafar, E. A. Edirisinghe : Real-time automatic license plate recognition for CCTV forensic applications. In Springer-Verlag 2011.
- Kumar Parasuraman, Member, IEEE and P.Vasantha Kumar An Efficient Method for Indian Vehicle License Plate Extraction and Character Segmentation. In 2010 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research.
- Mr. G. T. Sutar, Prof. Mr. A.V. Shah :Number Plate Recognition Using an Improved Segmentation. In International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology Vol. 3, Issue 5, May 2014.
- Shriram Kishanrao Waghmare, A. K. Gulve,Vikas N.Nirgude :Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system for Indian conditions using support vector machine(SVM). In international journal of computer science & its applications [ISSN 2250 - 3765].
- Badr Al-Badr, Robert M. Haralick : A segmentation-free approach to text recognition with application to Arabic text. In IJDAR (1998) 1: 147-166, Springer-Verlag 1998
- Jairo Rocha and The0 Pavlidis: Character Recognition Without Segmentation. In IEEE Transactions on pattern analysis & machine intelligence, vol. 17, no. 9, september 1995
- Kilian Q.Weinberger, Lawrence K. Saul: Distance Metric Learning for Large Margin Nearest Neighbor Classification. In Journal of Machine Learning Research 10 (2009) 207-244
- S.-L. Chang, L.-S. Chen, Y.-C. Chung, and S.-W. Chen, “Automatic license plate recognition,” IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst., vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 42–53, Mar. 2004.
- Manuel Vargas, Sergio L. Toral, Federico Barrero, and Francisco Cortés:A License Plate Extraction Algorithm Based on Edge Statistics and Region Growing. In Springer, september2009.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kaushalya Bakde, Suyash Agrawal, "Real Time License Plate Recognition via Watershed and Viterbi Algorithm", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.793-800, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623213.php