IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol is standard for wireless local area networks (LANs), and has also been implemented in many network simulations for wireless multichannel ad hoc networks. However, it is well known that, as the number of active channel increases, the performance of IEEE 802.11 MAC in terms of delay and throughput is decreased especially when each station load approaches its saturation state. Since delay and throughput are important Quality of Service parameters in many wireless applications, we study the performance of different multi-channel Media Access Control (MAC) protocols in ad hoc networks by considering various parameters. This paper presents a new approach for performance evaluation of IEEE 802.11 medium access control MAC protocol for ad-hoc wireless network. The approach based on implementation of IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol in various parameters are calculated such as throughput and minimum access delay on varying number of nodes of IEEE 802.11 protocol which is a standard MAC protocol. The accuracy of the analytical result is verified by NS-2 software tool.
Sameeksha Verma, Arpita Singh
Wireless Sensor Network (WSN), IEEE 802.11 standards, NS-2
- IEEE, IEEE Standard 802.11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications (1999).
- Y. Xiao and J. Rosdahl, "Throughput analysis for IEEE 802.11a higher datarates,"inIEEE802.11PlenaryMeeting,St.Louis,MO,Mar.11–15, 2002, Doc. No. IEEE 802.11-02-138r0.
- Jangeun Jun, Pushkin Peddabachagari, Mihail Sichitiu, Theoretical maximum throughput of IEEE 802.11 and its applications, Second IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, 2003. NCA 2003.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, D. Estrin, Medium access control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor Networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 12 (3) (2004) 493–506
- J. F. Kurose, K. W. Ross, and Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet, 3rd Edition, Addison Wesley, 2005.
- I. Demirkol, C. Ersoy, and F. Alagoz, MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks: a survey, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2006, vol. 44, iss.4, pp.115-121.
- M.Ali and Z.A.Uzmi, Medium access control with mobility-adaptive mechanisms for wireless sensor networks, Int. J. Sensor Networks, 2006, Vol. 1,Nos. 3/4, pp.134–142.
- I. Demirkol, C. Ersoy, and F. Alagoz, ―MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks: a survey, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2006, vol. 44, iss.4, pp.115-121.
- S. Wen-miao, L Yan-ming, and Z. Shu-e,"Research on SMAC protocol for WSN,"in Proc. IEEE 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing WiCOM’08, Oct 2008,pp.1-4.
- Q. Hu, An Energy Efficient MAC Protocol with Adaptive Transmit Power Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks, Journal of Multimedia, Vol. 6, No. 2, 2011.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sameeksha Verma, Arpita Singh, "Implementation of IEEE 802.11 MAC Protocol in AD-HOC Network Through Various Parameters", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.812-814, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623214.php