Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) are steels considered to be the major materials for future applications in automotive production and other sectors of the economy. In this article, assessment of advanced high strength steels (AHSS) used in automotive industry was discussed, including the steel compositions, microstructure and mechanical properties developed during thermal processing, advantages and disadvantages, their potential applications and performance in service. Various strengthening mechanisms are employed to achieve a range of strength, ductility, toughness, and fatigue properties of these materials. As opposed to the cold formable single phase deep-drawable grades, the mechanical properties of AHSS steels are controlled by many factors, including the following; phase composition and distribution in the overall microstructure, volume fraction, size and morphology of phase constituents, as well as stability of metastable constituents were discussed. Finally, a brief summary of these important steels was highlighted.
Sani A. Salihu
Advanced High Strength Steels, Automobile Industry, Microstructure, Mechanical Properties
- Alan I. Taub, (2006): Automotive Materials: Technology Trend and Challenges in the 21st Centuary, MRS BULLETIN • VOLUME 31, pp 336 – 343, Boston, USA
- American Iron and Steel Institute (2006): Advanced high strength steel. Great Design in steel, seminar presentation, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Carrie M. Tamarelli, (2011): The evolving use of advanced high strength steels for automotive applications. Materials science and engineering, University of Michigan, USA.
- Curt D. Horvath, (2004): The future revolution in Automotive high strength steel usage, GM Corporation.USA. www.autosteel.org
- Jody N. Hall, (2011): Evolution of Advanced High Strength Steels in Automotive Applications, General Motor Company, www.auto.org
- International Iron and Steel Institute, (2006): Ultra-light steel, Auto Body-Advanced Vehicle concepts.
- Keeler, (2002): Increased use of high strength steel, PMA Metal forming Magazine.
- Matlock, David K.; Speer, John G.; De Moor, Emmanuel; Gibbs, Paul J.(2012): Recent Developments in Advanced High Strength Sheet Steels for Automotive Applications: An Overview, Engineering Science & Technology, an International Journal; Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1,
- Kuziak, R. Kawalla, S. Waengler (2008); Advanced High Strength Steel for Automotive Industry, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, VIII, No 2
- Robert H. Wagoner, (2006): DRAFT, Advanced High-Strength Steel, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Stuart keeler, Menachem Kimchi (2014): Advanced high-strength steels: Applications Guidelines Version 5.0, WorldAutoSteel
- Savkin Alex`ey Nikolaevich, Andronik Artem Valerievich, Gorunov Andrey Igorevich, Sedov Alexander Alexandrovich1, Sukhanov Mikhail Alexandrovich (2014): Advanced materials of Automobile bodies in Volume Production, European Transport Issue 56, Paper n° 10, ISSN 1825-3997
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sani A. Salihu, "Assessment of Advanced High Strength Steels used in Auto Industry – A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.565-571, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623235.php