Voltage, current, time or frequency is the nonstandard occurrence due to a power quality problem that manifested in a failure or uncontrollable or bug locked end user equipment’s. The service interruptions developed by such the nonstandard occurrences may affect the utility distribution networks, critical commercial operations and the industrial sensitive loads, which can lead to the cost significant financial losses. In this paper, the issue of this power quality has taken on new dimensions to achieve the distributed and dispersed generation by restructuring the power systems with a modified shifting trend. Usually in the distribution center, the electric grids affect the power quality when the wind power is injected on it. International Electro-technical Commission standard, IEC-61400 provides the guidelines to measure the power quality through the performance of wind turbine. Active power, reactive power, harmonics, electrical switching behaviour, variation of voltage, and flicker are the power quality measurements and are obtained from the grid systems of wind turbine based on national and international guidelines. This paper proposes a new procedure to install the wind turbine with the electric grid. The static synchronous compensator is connected in a common coupling point to migrate the power quality issue of a conventional technique. The proposed wind energy generation system is simulated in MATLAB-Simulink with both linear and nonlinear loads to observe the power quality improvement.
Sundaram A, Ashenafi Paulo's Forsido, Dawit Adane
Wind energy, Solar Energy, STATCOM, Electric grid, IGBT, PWM.
- Abrantes A. (2012). Overview of power quality aspects in wind generation "North American Power Symposium (NAPS)”, Champaign, IL, 1 - 6.
- Wenxia Pan, Wenzhong GMuljadiE. (2009). The dynamic performance and effect of hybrid renewable power system with diesel/wind/PV/battery "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Sustainable Power Generation and Supply, 2009. SUPERGEN '09”Nanjing,1 - 5.
- Muthusamy, M.; Kumar, C.S. (2014). New STATCOM control scheme for power quality improvement in wind farm "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Green Computing Communication and Electrical Engineering (ICGCCEE)”Coimbatore,1 - 5.
- Mohod, S.W, Aware M.V. (2010). A STATCOM-Control Scheme for Grid Connected Wind Energy System for Power Quality Improvement "IEEE journal of systems” 346 - 352.
- Nirmala, N, Kumar, V.S. (2013). A STATCOM-control scheme for wind energy system to improve power quality "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Information Communication and Embedded Systems (ICICES)” Chennai,1108 - 1113.
- Arezki, S. Boudour, M.(2014). Improvement of power quality of wind-FC energy power hybrid system connected to network "proc. Of IEEE-International Symposium on Environmental Friendly Energies and Applications (EFEA)”St. Ouen,1 -7.
- Rahmani S. Hamadi A. Al-Haddad K. Kanaan H.Y. (2012). A multifunctional power flow controller for photovoltaic generation systems with compliance to power quality standards "proc. Of International Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society”Montreal,894 - 903.
- Sunil T.P. Loganathan N. (2012). Power quality improvement of a grid-connected wind energy conversion system with harmonics reduction using FACTS device "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Advances in Engineering, Science and Management (ICAESM)”Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu,415 - 420.
- Aboul-Seoud T,Sharaf A.M. (2010). Utilization of the Modulated Power Filter Compensator scheme for a grid connected rural hybrid wind/tidal energy conversion scheme "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Electric Power and Energy Conference (EPEC)”Halifax, NS,1 -6.
- GhorbanianM.J. Goodarzvand F. Poudaryaei A. Mahadi W.N.L. (2014). Power quality improvement of grid connected doubly fed induction generator using STATCOM and BESS "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference on Engineering Technology and Technopreneuship (ICE2T)”Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,110 - 115.
- George S.K. Chacko F.M. (2013). Comparison of different control strategies of STATCOM for power quality improvement of grid connected wind energy system "proc. Of IEEE-International Conference Automation, Computing, Communication, Control and Compressed Sensing (iMac4s)”Kottayam,650 - 655
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sundaram A, Ashenafi Paulo's Forsido, Dawit Adane, "Power Quality Improvement of Electric Grid Connected Wind-Solar Hybrid Energy System using STATCOM", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.905-909, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1623237.php