In recent years, friction stir welding (FSW) has proven its capability as a commercial joining process for aluminum alloys. The AA 6xxx aluminium alloys are extensively used in marine frames, pipe lines, and storage tanks and aircraft applications. The literature review of friction stir welding process has been done in this paper to understand the effect of process parameters of friction stir welding on mechanical properties of selected substrate. On the basis of the literature reviewed it has been observed that still there is limited research studies on optimizing the process parameters of friction stir welding of AA6063.
Shiv Kumar, Mohammad Shahal Milton
Friction Stir Welding, AA6xxx Aluminium alloys, Process parameters.
- Thomas W. M, Nicholas E. D., (1997) “Friction stir welding for the transportation industries’, Materials & Design 18(4-6), pp. 269-273.
- Liu, Huijie, Fuji, H. (2003) “Mechanical properties of friction stir welded joints of 1050 - H24 aluminium alloy”, Science and technology of welding and joining, Vol.8, pp.50-54.
- Minton, T. and Mynors, D. J. (2006) “Utilization of engineering workshop equipment for friction stir welding”, Journals of Materials processing Technology, Vol.177, pp.336-339.
- Cabibbo M., Mc Queenb H. J., Evangelista E., Spigarelli S., Paola M. D., Falchero A., (2007), “Microstructure and mechanical property studies of AA6056 friction stir welded plate”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 460–461, pp. 86–94.
- Cavalier, P., Campanile, G. and Panella, F. (2006) “Effect of welding parameters on mechanical and microstructure properties of AA6056 joints produced by friction stir welding”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.180, pp.263-270.
- Scialpi, A., De Filippis, L. A. C., Cavaliere, P. (2007) “Influence of shoulder geometry on microstructure and mechanical properties of friction stir welded 6082 aluminium alloy”, Materials and Design, Vol.28, pp.1124-1129.
- Moreira, P. M. G. P. and Santos, T. (2008) “Mechanical and Metallurgical Characterization of friction stir welding joints of AA6061-T6 with AA6082-T6”, Materials and Design, Vol.30, pp.180-187.
- Elangovan, K., Balasubramanian, V. and Valliappan, M. (2008) “Influences of tool pin profile and axial force on the formation of friction stir processing zone in AA6061 aluminium alloy”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.38, pp.285-295.
- Elangovan, K., Balasubramanian, V. and Babu, S. (2009) “Predicting tensile strength of friction stir welded AA6061 aluminium alloy joints by a mathematical model”, Materials and Design, Vol.30, pp.188-193.
- Rajakumar, S., Muralidharan, C. and Balasubramanian, V. (2011) “Statistical analysis to predict grain size and hardness of the weld nugget of friction stir welded AA6061-T6 aluminium alloy joints”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, pp.151-165.
- L. Karthikeyan, V.S. Senthil Kumar, (2011) “Study of process parameters on mechanical properties of AA6063-T6 Aluminum alloy” Materials and Design 32, 3085–3091.
- Banglong Fu, Guoliang Qin, Fei Li, XiangmengMeng, Jianzhong Zhang, Chuansong Wu. (2015) “Friction stir welding process of dissimilar metals of 6061-T6aluminum alloy to AZ31B magnesium alloy”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology Vol. 218, pp. 38-47.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Shiv Kumar, Mohammad Shahal Milton, "A short Summary of Friction Stir Welding of 6xxx Aluminium Alloys", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.168-171, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162328.php