Welding of aluminum alloys is an important issue because of their increasing applications in industries. The most widely used joining methods for aluminium alloys are Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG), Metal Inert Gas (MIG), Variable Polarity Plasma Arc (VPPA) and Friction stir welding (FSW). However, the high conductivity, high reflectivity, high reactivity and high coefficient of thermal expansion make welding of aluminium alloys difficult. In this paper, the research and progress of a variety of welding techniques for joining Al alloys are reviewed. The aim of the paper is to review the recent progress in the welding of aluminium alloys to provide a basis for follow-up research.
Ajay Kumar, Mohammad Shahal Milton
Aluminium alloys, welding techniques, TIG, MIG, FSW.
- Thomas W. M, Nicholas E. D., (1997) “Friction stir welding for the transportation industries”, Materials & Design 18(4-6), pp. 269-273.
- Squillace A., Fenzo A. D, Giorleo G., Bellucci F., (2004) “A comparison between FSW and TIG welding techniques: modifications of microstructure and pitting corrosion resistance in AA 2024-T3 butt joints”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 152 (1): pp. 97-105.
- Wang, X., Wang, K., Shen, Y., Hu, K., (2008) “Comparison of fatigue property between friction stir and TIG welds,” Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing, Mineral, Metallurgy, Material, 15, pp. 280-284.
- Cabello M., Ruckert G., Huneau S. B., Marya S., (2008) “Comparison of TIG welded and friction stir welded Al–4.5Mg–0.26Sc alloy”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 197 (1-3), pp. 337-343.
- Zhao J., Jiang F., Jian H., Wen K., Jiang L., Chen X., (2010) “Comparative investigation of tungsten inert gas and friction stir welding characteristics of Al–Mg–Sc alloy plates”, Materials & Design, Vol. 31(1), pp. 306-311.
- Malarvizhia S., Balasubramanian V., (2011) “Effects of welding processes and post-weld aging treatment on fatigue behavior of AA2219 aluminium alloy joints”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 20(3), pp. 359-367.
- Zhen H., Yong P., Zhi Y., Xue L., (2011) “Comparison of FSW and TIG welded joints in Al-Mg-Mn-Sc-Zr alloy plates” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Vol. 21, pp. 1685-1691
- Anjaneya Prasad B. and Prasanna P., (2013) “Experimental Comparison of the MIG and Friction Stir Welding Processes for AA 6061(Al Mg Si Cu) Aluminium Alloy". International Journal of Mining, Metallurgy & Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 1, pp. 137-140.
- S. Jannet, P.K. Mathews, R. Raja, (2013) "Comparative investigation of Friction stir welding & Fusion welding of 6061T-6 & 5083-0 Aluminium Alloys based on mechanical properties & microstructure". Journal of Achievements in Materials & Manufacturing Engg, Vol. 61, pp. 181-186.
- Baiju Sasidharan, Dr. K.P. Narayanan, Prakash. R. S, (2014) “Tensile & Microstructural characteristics of DCSP TIG welded & Friction stir welded AA2219 Aluminum Alloy’’. International Journal of Design & Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 5, pp. 121-129.
- Ashwani Kumar, Shakti Singh Gautam and Alok Kumar, (2014) “Heat input & joint efficiency of three welding processes TIG, MIG & FSW using AA6061’’. International Journal of Mechanical Engg. & Robotic Research, Vol. 1, pp. 89-94.
- S. Navyashree, V. Sivaramakrishna, (2015) “Experimental Investigation of Friction Stir Welding and TIG Welding for Al-6082’’, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engg. & Technology, Vol. 4, pp. 5292-5298.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Ajay Kumar, Mohammad Shahal Milton, "A Comparison of Welding Techniques of Aluminium Alloys: A Literature Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.172-175, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162329.php