It is necessary to provide good road network for the development of country. India has second largest highway and roadway networks system in the world. Due to unexpected economic development in the any region, the traffic loads on the road may increase at a rapid rate. The pavements also undergo higher distress due to increased wheel loads and load repetitions. There is great need for the effective and efficient management and maintenance of the road network. For the maintenance work pavement evaluation is crucial. In the present work, an attempt is made to evaluate the structural and functional condition of the existing flexible pavements. A network of 11 km coming under Vadodara District was selected and extensive field, laboratory investigation, pavement analysis were carried out based on the maintenance priority. The field work consists of road inventory, traffic studies, and Bump Integrator studies. PCI was computed based on the selected distress parameters i.e. patch, pothole, cracks, hungry surface, area of deflection etc. In addition, IRI and characteristic pavement deflections were computed from Bump Integrator. Based on PCI, IRI and deflection values suggestions given for remedial measures for particular distress.
Rina M. Dodiya, Prof. S. M. Damodariya, Prof. N. B. Parmar
Pavement evaluation, PCI, IRI.
- IRC: 81-1997 “Guidelines for Strengthening of Flexible Road Pavements Using Benkelman Beam Deflection Technique”.
- IRC: 81-1982 “Maintenance of Bituminous Surfaces of Highways”.
- IRC: 64-1990 “Guidelines for Capacity of Roads in Rural areas”
- IRC: 2720 (part-5)-1985 reaffirmed-2006 “Method for Test for Soils” Determination of Liquid Limit and Plastic Limit.
- IRC: SP: 16-2004 “Guidelines For The Surface Evenness of Highway Pavement”.
- IS: 2720 (Part XI) – 1977 Reaffirmed-2002 “Methods of Test for Soils” Determination of Free Swell Index of Soils.
- IS: 2720 (Part 4) - 1985 Reaffirmed-2006 “Methods of Test for Soils” Grain Size Analysis.
- IS: 2720 (Part III/1) - 1980 Reaffirmed-2002 “Methods of Test for Soils” Determination of Specific Gravity.
- IS: 2720 (Part 8) – 1983 “Methods of Test For Soils” Determination of Water Content -- Dry Density Relation Using Heavy Compaction.
- S.K. Khanna, C.E.G.Justo, A.Veeraragavan. “Highway Engineering” (2014).
- SHENBAGA R KANIRAJ “Design aids in soil mechanicals and foundation engineering” (2014).
- Ahmed Ebrahim Abu and El-Maaty Behiry (2012) “Fatigue And Rutting Lives In Flexible Pavement”Ain Shams Engineering Journal (2012)3, 367–374.
- Keiji Shibata, kazuyatakeuch, shoheikawai, yuukouhorita (2014) “detection of road surface conditions in winter using road surveillance cameras at daytime, night-time and twilight” International journal of computer science and network security. Volume: 14, no. 11.
- Mostafa A. Elseifi, M.Asce, KarthikDasari, Ahmed Abdel- Khalek ,Kevin Gaspard And ZhongjieZhang (2013) “Development of The Triangular Model For Pavement Evaluation Using The Rolling Wheel Deflectometer” Journal Of Transportation Engineering.Network Conditions Trends in Transportation Engineering and Applications.
- SarnayaUllas, B.G. Sreedevi, Sreelatha T (2013) “Pavement Performance Modeling-A Case Study” International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering Issn: 2278-3075, Volume: 3, Issue: 3.
- Ujjaval J. Solanki, Pradip J. Gundalia, Mansukh D. Barasara (2015) “A Review on Structural Evaluation of Flexible Pavements Using Falling Weight Deflectometer” Trends in Transportation Engineering and Applications ISSN:2394-7284, Volume: 2, Issue-1.
- Vinayak H. N, Sunil S. (2014) “rehabilitation of low volume flexible pavements by white topping-a case study”. International Journal of research in engineering and technology. ISSN: 2319-1163. Volume: 3, issue: 6.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Rina M. Dodiya, Prof. S. M. Damodariya, Prof. N. B. Parmar, "Distress Measurement : A case study of SH-158-stretch between Waghodiya Intersections to Parul University ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.152-156, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162343.php