The deterioration of the flexible pavements are also due to extreme climatic conditions prevailing in the country in addition to the heavy traffic. The Epoxy Resin modification of the bitumen can improve the quality of binders and enhance the properties of binders used for the construction of pavements. Ageing of bitumen is one of the principal factors causing the failure of bituminous pavement components due to the prolonged exposure to air and environmental conditions. Ageing are of two types i.e. short term and long term. Short-term ageing occurs when binder is mixed with aggregates in a mixing plant. Long-term ageing occurs after pavement construction and is generally due to environmental exposure and loading. The properties of bitumen mainly depend on the age of bitumen. Therefore there is a need to study the properties of modified bitumen before and after ageing. In this paper the physical properties of Epoxy Resin modified bitumen is discussed, optimum dose is determined and the effect of ageing on the binder prepared using the optimum dose is evaluated.
Dhara D Kalasariya, Keval Patel, Harpalsinh Raol
Short Term Ageing, Epoxy Resin, Physical Properties, Engineering and Technology
- N. Kebaïli, A. Zerzour, F. Belabdelouhab – “Influence of Rubber Fine Powder on the Characteristics of the Bitumens in Algeria” © 2015 the Authors. CC BY-NC-ND license.
- Kishan K.Vachhani and C.B. Mishra - “Influence of VG30 Grade Bitumen with and without reactive Ethylene Terpolymer in short term aging” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 25 Dec 2014, Vol.4, No.6 (Dec 2014).
- Prajapati Harshad, Dr. P. J. Gundaliya - “A Study on aging Behaviour of Paving Grade Bitumen using Filler Material”. International Journal for Scientific Research & Development| Vol. 2, Issue 03, 2014.
- Farhad Zafari, Mohammad Rahi, Nazanin Moshtagh, Hossein Nazockdast -“The Improvement of Bitumen Properties by Adding Nano Silica”. Study of Civil Engineering and Architecture (SCEA) Volume 3, 2014.
- Farhad Bayati Zadehgani, Reza Dehghan, Abdollah Kamali Dashtarzhaneh – “Enhancement of base Asphalt using Fiber as Modifier”. ISSN 2319-8885, Vol.03, Issue.01, January-2014.
- Praveen Kumar, Tanveer Khan and Maninder Singh - “Study on EVA modified bitumen.” Elixir Chem. Engg. 54A (2013) 12616-12618.
- Suleiman Arafat Yero, Mohd. RosliHainin - “The Influence of Short-Term Aging on Bitumen Properties”. ARPN Journal of Science and Technology, VOL. 2, NO. 7, August 2012.
- Suleiman Arafat Yero, Mohd. RosliHainin -“The Effect of Aging on Bitumen Properties Modified with Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene (SBS) Polymer”. ARPN Journal of Science and Technology, VOL. 2, NO. 7, August 2012.
- Suleiman Arafat Yero & Mohd. Rosli Hainin -“Evaluation of Bitumen Properties Modified with Additive”. Volumes/Vol13Issue1/IJRRAS_13_1_09.
- Nuha S. Mashaan and Mohamed Rehan Karim- “Using Tyre Rubber as a Modifier in Asphalt to Improve Aging Resistance”. International Journal of Nano and Material Sciences, 2012, 1(2): 68-73.
- Abdelaziz MAHREZ & Mohamed Rehan Karim -“Rheological Evaluation of Ageing Properties of Rubber Crumb Modified Bitumen”. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, Vol.5, October, 2003.
- Ana R. Pasandin, Ignacio Pérez, Joel R.M. Oliveira- “Influence of ageing on the properties of bitumen from asphalt mixtures with recycled concrete aggregates”. Accepted Manuscript.
- Highway Engineering: Pavements, Materials and Control of Quality by Athanassios Nikolaides.
- H.P. Bitumen Handbook, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited,Mumbai, India
- IS: 73-2006, “Paving Bitumen – Specification”, [PCD 6: Bitumen Tar and their Products], New Delhi.
- IS: 1203-1978, “Method for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Penetration”, First Revision, New Delhi.
- IS: 1205-1978, “Method for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Softening Point”, First Revision, New Delhi.
- IS: 1206(Part-II)-1978, “Method for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Viscosity”, Absolute Viscosity, First Revision, New Delhi.
- IS: 1208-1978, “Methods For Testing Tar And Bituminous Materials: Determination Of Ductility”, First Revision, New Delhi.
- IS: 9382(Part-II)-1979, “Method for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Effect of Heat & Air by Thin Film Oven Test”, New Delhi.
- IRC: SP53-2010, “Guidelines on use of Modified Bitumen in road Construction”, New Delhi
- IS 15462 (2004): Polymer and Rubber Modified Bitumen [PCD 6: Bitumen Tar and their Products]
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dhara D Kalasariya, Keval Patel, Harpalsinh Raol, "Comparative Study on Short Term Ageing of Bitumen VG 10 and VG 30 by using Epoxy Resin as a Modifier", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.209-212, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162362.php