The aim of this research is determine the alternative route for improving level of service for urban roads. Alternative route provides road good driving manoeuvre for road users and it is save human hour from the congestion. Through literature review and case study, a systematic approach and techniques to improve alternative route will be developing.
A rapidly growing component of urban transportation problems in the cities across the world is problem of traffic congestion. It is believed that identification of congestion is the first step for selecting appropriate mitigation measures. Because of population, economic and vehicle ownership growth, increasing traffic demand exceeds the carrying capacity of the intersection during peak periods, which causes congestion. The congested and hazardous traffic conditions in the city increase fuel consumption of the vehicles, causes noise and air pollution, delay and accidents. In Ahmedabad city, most of arterial roads are congested. An attempt has been made to quantify congestion with delay, speed and volume to capacity ratio. There is a need for defining traffic congestion on rational bases and use that for measurement LOS (Level of Service) of roads. The congestion is measured by determining the level of service of the street (LOS) through calculating the traffic flow rate of the street and free flow rate. For determining peak hour traffic volume is calculated through videography of vehicles and multiplying by passenger car Unit (PCU). Level of service is determined by volume capacity ratio. Public opinion survey is necessary for the alternative route.
Saurabh P Patel , Shrinath Karli
Traffic Volume, Congestion, Level of Service, Capacity
- Hiren V. Patel, V. R. Gor “Capacity Determination of an Arterial Road - A Case study of Modasa Town (Bus station to Malpur cross road)” (2013) 2013 IJSRD/ISSN: 2321-0613
- Chetan R. Patel, G. J. Joshi- “Capacity and LOS for Urban Arterial Road in Indian Mixed Traffic Condition” (2012) Transport research Arena-Europe 2012:527-534
- Bhavneet Singh, Tripta Goyal- “Study of Traffic Volume and Level of Service of Panjab University, Chandigarh” (2015) IEJRA/ISSN: 2248-9622 July 2015, pp.09-14
- Ebin Nirmal Joseph, M.S.Nagakumar- “Evaluation Of Capacity And Level Of Service Of Urban Roads” (2014) IJETE/ISSN:2348-8050 30th-31st August 2014
- Dipak K. Thakor, Dr. L B Zala, Prof. A A Amin- “Traffic Flow Characteristics For Heterogeneous Traffic on Urban Road-a Case Study of Selected Stretch of Anand City” (2014) INSS:2320-5083, May 2014
- Dr. L.R. Kadiyali-Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning
- IRC: 106-1990 –Guideline for Capacity of Urban Roads in Plain Areas
- IRC: 86-1983 – Geometric Design Standards for Urban Roads in Plain
- Highway Capacity Manual-2000, Transportation Research Board
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Saurabh P Patel , Shrinath Karli, "Estimation of Congestion and Level of Service for Improvement Plan of Urban Road", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.305-308, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162386.php