The road networks of any city is its lifeline and the evaluation of their performance is very necessary for future traffic planning, design, operation and maintenance etc. Traffic flow in most cities of India is a mixed traffic characteristics and also the traffic congestion is the common problem in most major cities in India. The objective of the present study is to improve the performance operation of the urban road network by proposing the proper alternatives to enhance the traffic capacity. To achieve this objective, a complete methodology for analyzing the mixed traffic flow in 50m long stretch is selected and analyzed. Intersections are considered as the critical points of network and estimation of their performance is very necessary. The road networks are also considered as a lifeline for a city.The largest city in vidharbha is Nagpur, the second largest city is Amravati. Traffic congestion has become a major problem in many cities like Amravati. Amravati is 8th most populous metropolitan area in the state. Population of city was 7,45,000 in 2015. It has flyovers slowly coming up and enhancing the beauty of the city. The objective of study is to improve the performance operation of road. Traffic surveys are conducted to collect data on vehicular volume and speed selected road section. Traffic volume study is carried out and existing level of service is calculated. The data is analysed for peak hour traffic. Traffic surveys are conducted on working days during morning and evening peak hours. Manual technique is used for traffic surveys. Synchro software is used for analysis of road network. Synchro software is easy to use. It is optimization software & user can optimize the entire network. The results are useful for evaluation of capacity and level of service of road.
C. V. Yeramwar, A. A. Kaley, K. M. Bambode
Capacity, Highway Capacity Manual, level of service, saturation headway , spot speed, Traffic Volume study, Volume Count
- Chang-qiao Shao, Jian Rong, Xiao-ming Liu, Study on the Saturation Flow Rate and Its Influence Factors at Signalized Intersections in China (2011)
- Ebin Joseph Nirmal and Dr.M.S.Nagakumar, Evaluation of Capacity And Level of service of Urban Roads (2014)
- Jan-Mou Li, Lee D. Han, Chung-Hao Chen,Impact of data resolution on peak hour factor estimation for transportation decisions(2013)
- Cristina Vilarinho , José Pedro Tavares,Real-time traffic signal settings at an isolated signal control intersection(2014)
- Pengdi Diao, Zhuo Wang, Zundong Zhang, Hua Cheng ,Traffic Signal Coordinated Control Optimization (2011)
- Partha Pratim Dey , Sumit Nandal , Rahul Kalyan, Queue Discharge Characteristics at Signalised Intersections Under Mixed Traffic Conditions
- Subhash Chand, Neelam J Gupta, Nimesh Kumar, Analysis of Saturation Flow at Signalized Intersections in Urban Area
- Dr. L.R. Kadyali. “Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning”. Khanna Publishers, Seventh Edition 2007.
- IRC 86-1983, Geometric design standards for urban roads
- IRC-106-1990 (Capacity of urban roads in plain areas)
- IRC-93-1985, Guidelines on design and installation of road traffic signals.
- Highway Capacity Manual, HCM 2000. TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 1994
- Satish Chandra1 and Upendra Kumar, Effect of Lane Width on Capacity under Mixed Trafﬁc Conditions in India
- Vuchic, V. R. Urban Public Transportation Systems and Technology Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1981.
- Xin Yu and Goro Sulijoadikusumo ,Assessment of Signalized Intersection Capacity in Response to Downstream Queue Spillback.
- Jiann-Shiou Yang, Traffic Signal Timing Control for a Small-Scale Road Network
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
C. V. Yeramwar, A. A. Kaley, K. M. Bambode, "Evaluation of Capacity and Level of Service of Roads", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.296-299, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162387.php