In wireless channels, path loss has a strong impact on the quality of the links and hence there is need for accurate estimation for the efficient design of GSM networks. In this paper, measurements campaign were conducted at different floor using the GSM frequencies 900MHz and 1800MHz in the tallest building in Tropical Africa (Cocoa house) located in Ibadan metropolis. Cost-231 and Erickson path loss models were used to predict path losses with respect to receiver heights at different floors and the accuracy of the experimental results was estimated by determine the MSE between the measured and estimated path loss. The lower frequency suffers less path loss with varying heights compared to higher frequency with mean path loss 70.25dBm and 77.44dBm respectively. The comparative analysis revealed that the mean square error (MSE) for Cost-231 and Erickson were 1.25dB and 3.37dB respectively. The results shows that Cost-231 is the most accurate and reliable path loss prediction model for urban area (Ibadan) with varying heights. The results is also in good agreement with the acceptable international standard range 1≤μ≤15dB.
Aremu O. A, Taiwo O. A, Makinde O. S., Falade T. J.
Cost-231, Erickson model, Mean square error, Path loss, Stairwells.
- B. Castrol, M.Pinheiro, G.Canalcante, “Comparison between known comparison models, using least square tuning algorithm on 5.8GHz in Amazon region cities”, Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics application, vol.10,No.1, June 2011.
- N. Rakesh and Strivasta S.K, “ An Investigation on propagation path loss in Urban Environments for various models transmitter Antenna height 50m and different Receiver Antenna height” International Journal of Receiver and reviews in Computer Science”, vol.3, No.4. pp 1761-1 August 2012.
- Yuvraj Singh “Comparison of Okumura, Hata and Cost-231 Models on the Basis of Path Loss and Signal Strength” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol.59-No.11, December 2012.
- S. R Saunders, M.Hata, Empirical formula for Propagation loss in Land Mobile Radio Services, IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, Vol. V7 29 August 1980, pp 317-32
- N. Shabbir, M.Sadiq, T. Kashif, and R. Ullah, "Comparison of Radio Propagation Models for Long Term Evolution (LTE) Network”, International Journal of Next generation networks, vol.3, No. 3, September, 2011
- V. Erceg, L. Greenstein, “An Empirical Based Path Loss Model for Wireless Channels in Suburban Environments “IEEE Journal on Selected Areas of Communication, vol.17, pp/ 1205-1211, July 1999.
- Yu-Huel, T., Wen-Shyang, H., and Ce-Kuen, S. “The Influence of Propagation Environment in a Live GSM Network. Research Paper, Department of Electrical Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences, Kaohsiung, R.O.C.3-5.
- Z. Nadir and M.Idrees Ahmad “Path loss Determination Using Okumura-Hata Model and Cubic Regression for Missing Data for Oman”, Proceedings of IMECS, vol.2, 2010
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Aremu O. A, Taiwo O. A, Makinde O. S., Falade T. J., "Experimental Study of Variation of Path Loss with Respect to Heights at GSM Frequency Band", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.347-351, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162393.php