Due to increase in the use of fuel additives, like methyl esters there is an expected rise in the production of glycerol. As a result of this rise, the importance of glycerol as a common raw material for the production of value-added products would be enhanced. The demand and supply of glycerol and the possible application in the industries have something in common with its future scenario in the global market. Due to intensive research, technologies have been developed which has put in place proper investigation to convert low-value glycerol using different strategies and approaches. Lately, new opportunities for transforming glycerol into high-valued chemicals have emerged. This development could be attributed to the unique properties of glycerol, its structure and high features of renewability. Hence, this review highlights the glycerol global market, future trends and forecasts in recent years, and uses especially as a valuable raw material for the chemical industry.
Chiemenem L.I., Nwosu-Obieogu K
Glycerol, Methanol, Agro-Based, Transterification, Catalyst.
- A, D. (2009). Securing the planet's future energy needs. Springer .
- Abro S, P. Y. (1997). Selective synthesis of monoglycerides from glycerol and oleic acid in the presence of solid catalysts. (P. R. Blaser AB, Red.) Surface science and catalysis , 539-46.
- Amin INHM, M. A. (2010). Analysis of deposition mechanism during ultrafiltration of glycerin-rich solutions. Desalination , s. 263:313-20.
- Asad-ur-Rehman, S. W. (2008). Pretreatment and utilisation of raw glycerol from sunflower oil biodiesel for growth and 1-3-propane diol production by clostridium butyricum. Chemical Technology and Biotechnology , 83: 1072-80.
- Bajaj A, L. P. (2010). Biodiesel production through lipase-catalysed transesterification: an overview. Journal of molecular catalysis B: Enzymatic , 62: 9-14.
- Barrault J, C. J. (2004). Selective oligomerization of glycerol over mesoporous catalysts. Top Catal , 27: 137-32.
- Barrault J, P. Y. (2002). Catalysis and fine chemistry. Catalysis today , 75: 177-81.
- Basri M, A. W. (1995). Enzymic synthesis of fatty esters by hydrophobic lypase derivatives immobilized on organic polymer beads. American Oil Chemists' Society , 72: 407-11.
- Bohon MD, M. B. (2011). Glycerol combustion and emissions. Preceedings of the Combustion Institute, (s. 33:2717-24).
- Bournay L, C. D. (2005). New heterogeneous process for biodiesel production: a way to improve the value and quality of crude glycerin produced by biodiesel plants. Catalysis today , 106: 190-2.
- Bournay L, C. D. (2005). New heterogenous process for biodiesel production: A way to improve the quality and the value of the crude glycerin produced by biodiesel plants. Catalysis today , 106: 190-2.
- Canacki M, S. H. (2008). Biodiesel production from various feedstocks and their effects on the fuel properties. Industrial microbiology and biotechnology , 35: 431-41.
- César A.G Quispe, C. J. (2013). Glycerol: Production, consumption, prices, characterisation and new trends in combustion. Elsevier , 475-493.
- Chung YH, R. D. (2007). Effects of feeding dry glycerin to early postpartum Holstein diary cows on lactational performance and metabolic profiles . Diary Science , 90:5682-91.
- Corma A, I. S. (1998). Catalysts for the production of fine chemicals: production of food emulsifiers, monoglycerides, by glycerolysis of fats with solid base catalysts . Journal of Catalysis , 173: 315-21.
- D, H. (1996). Glycerine Processing. (H. YH, Red.) Bailey's Industrial oil and fat products , 5, 275-308.
- da Silver GP, M. M. (2009). Glycerol: a promising and abundant carbon source for industrial microbiology . Biotechnol Adv , 27: 30-9.
- DB, A. (2005). The Biodiesel Handbook. (v. G. Knothe G, Red.) AOCS Publishing.
- Division, G. a. (1990). Glycerine: an overview, terms, technical data, properties and performance. New York: SDA, the soap and detergent association.
- Dufey, A. (2006). Biofuels production, trade and sustainable develoment: emerging issues. London: IIED.
- (2012). Food emulsifiers market worth $2858.6 million by 2018. Markets and markets.
- Gonzales-Pajuelo M, A. J. (2004). Production of 1,3- propane-diol by clostridium butyricum VPI 3266 using a synthetic medium and crude glycerol. Industrial microbiology and biotechnology , 31: 442-6.
- Graille J, L. P. (1986). Vegetable oil alcoholysis pilot trials using natural catalysis to produce diesel fuels. Oleagineux , 41: 457-64.
- Gregg F, G. C. (2008). Powering your vehicle with straight vegetable oil. New Society .
- Hajek M, S. F. (2010). Treatment of glycerol phase formed by biodiesel production. Bioresource Technology , 101:3242-5.
- Hasheminejad M, T. M. (2011). Upstream and downstream strategies to economise biodiesel production. Bioresource Technology , 102: 461-8.
- Helwani Z, O. M. (2009). Technologies for the production of biodiesel focussing on green catalytic technique: A review. Fuel processing technology , 90: 1502-14.
- HW Tan, A. A. (2013). Glycerol production and its application as a raw material: A review. Elsevier , 27: 118-127.
- Isahak WNRW, I. M. (2010). Purification of crude glycerol from transesterification RBD palm oil over homogenous catalysts for the bio lubrican preparation. Applied Sciences , 10:2590-5.
- JE, B. (1990). General Chemistry principles and structure 5th Ed. John Wiley and Sons Inc.
- Khayoon MS, H. B. (2012). Synthesis of hybrid SBA-15 functionalised with molybdophosphoric acid as efficient catalyst for glycerol esterification to fuel additives . Applied catalysis A Gen , 433-434, 152-61.
- Koh MY, M. G. (2011). A review of biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas L oil. Renewable and sustainable energy reviews , 15: 2240-51.
- Lam MK, L. K. (2010). Homogenous, heterogeneous, and enzymatic catalysis for transesterification of high free fatty acid oil(waste cooking oil) to biodiesel: A review. Biotechnological advances , 28: 500-18.
- Lee DW, P. Y. (2009). Heterogeneous base catalysts for transesterification in biodiesel synthesis. Catalysis surveys from Asia , 13: 63-77.
- Liu X, M. H. (2011). Esterification of glycerol with acetic acid using double SO3H-functionalised ionic liquids as recoverable catalysts. Green Chemistry , 13: 697-701.
- Lopez JAS, S. A. (2009). Anaerobic digestion of glycerol derived from biodiesel manufacturing. Bioresource technology , 100: 5609-15.
- LR., M. (2014). Glycerol in Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. New York: Wiley.
- Manosak R, L. H. (2001). Sequential refining of crude glycerol derived from waste used-oil methyl esther plant via a process of combined chemical process and adsorption. Fuel Processing Technology , 92:92-9.
- Mario Pagliaro, M. R. (2010). The future of glycerol. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry; Second Edition.
- Martin A, R. M. (2011). Oligomerization of glycerol-a critical review. European Journal of Lipid sc technology , 113: 100-17.
- Md Enamul Hoque, S. A. (2011). Biodiesel from low cost feedstocks: the effect of process parameters on biodiesel yield. Biomass and Bioenergy , 35: 1582-7.
- Melero JA, V. G., & Morales G, M. P. (2012). Etherification of biodiesel derived glycerol with ethanol for fuel formulation over sulphonic modified catalysts . Bioresource Technology , 103(1): 142-51.
- Miao X, W. Q. (2006). Biodiesel production from heterotrophic microalgal oil . Bioresource Technology , 97: 841-6.
- Miner CS, D. N. (1953). American Chemical Society, Editirs. New York: Reinhold publishing company.
- Moazami N, A. A. (2012). Large scale biodiesel production using microalgae biomass of Nanochloropsis. Biomass and Bioenergy , 39: 449-53.
- Mosali R, B. S. (2011). Homogenous catalyst and effects on multistock processing. Biodiesel magazine.
- Muhammad Ayoub, A. Z. (2012). Critical review on the current scenario and significance of crude glycerol resulting from biodiesel industry towards more sustainable renewable energy industry. Elsevier , 2671-2686.
- N, S. (2010). A study using classical or membrane separation in the biodiesel process. Desalination 2 , 250:1070-2.
- Nek Mat Din NSNM, A. B. (2010). Glycerol to polyglycerol: value addition of biodiesel by-product. MPOB Information Service , 462: 1-4.
- Ooi TL, Y. K.-Y. (2001). Crude glycerin recovery from glycerol residue waste from a palm kernel oil methyl esther plant. Oil palm research , 13:16-22.
- Othmer, K. (2001). Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Oudshoorn MHM, R. R. (2006). Synthesis and characterisation of hyperbranched polyglycerol hydrogels. Biomaterials , 27: 5471-9.
- Perry RH, G. D. (1997). Perry's chemical engineers' handbook. USA: McGraw-Hill.
- Rahmat N, A. A. (2010). Recent progress on innovative and potential technologies for glycerol transformation into fuel additives: a critical review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy reviews , 14:987-1000.
- Rosaria Ciriminna, C. D. (2014). Understanding the glycerol market. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. , 116, 0000–0000.
- Ruppert AM, M. J. (2008). Glycerol etherification over highly active CaO-based materials: new mechanistic aspects and related colloidal particle formation. Chem- European Journal , 14: 2016-24.
- Salamatinia B, M. H. (2010). Optimisation of ultrasonic-assisted heterogenous biodiesel production from palm oil: A response surface methodology approach. Fuel Process Technology , 91(5): 441-8.
- SIDS, O. (2002). Initial assessment report, Glycerol. Paris: UNEP.
- Thompson JC, H. B. (2006). Characterisation of crude glycerol from biodiesel production from multiple feedstocks. Applied Engineering in Agriculture , 22: 261-5.
- Ueoka H., K. T. (2001). Patentnr. 6288287. United States.
- V, B. (2009). Glycerin market in brief. 7th ICIS World Oleochemical Conference. Germany.
- Wang ZX, Z. J. (2001). Glycerol production by microbial fermentation: a review. Biotechnol Adv , 19: 201-23.
- WJ, C. (2008). Patentnr. 2(3) :173-80.
- Yang Xiao, G. X. (2013). A universal procedure for crude glycerol purification from different feedstocks in biodiesel production: Experimental and simulation study. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research I&EC , 52, 14291-14296.
- Zahra Gholami, A. Z.-T. (2014). Dealing with the surplus of glycerin production from biodiesel industy through catalytic upgrading to polyglycerols and other value-added products. Elsevier , 327-341.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Chiemenem L.I., Nwosu-Obieogu K, "Sub-Products of Agro-based Industries as Valuable Raw Materials for the Production of PHA : A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.680-693, May-June-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162399.php