Renewable energy sources are alternative energy source, can bring new challenges when it is connected to the power grid. When the wind power is connected to an electric grid affects the power quality. The effects of the power quality measurements are-the active power, reactive power, variation of voltage, ?icker, harmonics, and electrical behavior of switching operations. The installation of wind turbine with the grid causes power quality problems are determined by studying this paper. For this Static Compensator (STATCOM) with a battery energy storage system (BESS) at the point of common coupling to mitigate the power quality problems. The grid connected wind energy generation system for power quality improvement by using STATCOM-control scheme is simulated using SIMULINK in power system block set. This relives the main supply source from the reactive power demand of the load and the induction generator in this proposed scheme. The paper study demonstrates the power quality problem due to installation of wind turbine with the grid. Also The improvement in power quality on the grid has been presented here according to the guidelines specified in IEC-61400 standard (International Electro-technical Commission) provides some norms and measurement
Lokesh Vitonde, Surbhi Shrivastava, Alka Dharwal
International Electro-technical Commission (IEC), STATCOM, Battery Energy Storage System (BESS), Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), and Point of Common Coupling (PCC) wind generating system (WGS).
- Sannino, "Global power systems for sustainable development", in IEEE General Meeting, Denver, CO, Vol. 3, Jun. 2004, pp. 3-5.
- Roger C. Dugan, Mark F. McGranaghan, Surya Santoso, H. Wayne Beaty,"Electrical Power System Quality", McGraw-Hill, pp. 203-210.
- Narain g. Hingorani,Laszlo gyugyi,"Understanding FACTS, IEEE Press, pp.5-9.
- Muljadi, C. P. Butter?eld, J. Chacon and H. Romanowitz, "Power Quality Aspects in a Wind Power Plant", Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2006, pp. 6-10.
- Adriano Abrantes, "Overview of Power Quality Aspects in Wind Generation", IEEE 2010, pp. 11-14.
- Jan T. Bialasiewicz, "Renewable Energy Systems With Photovoltaic Power Generators: Operation and Modeling", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 7, July 2008, pp. 5-8.
- Wind Turbine Generating SystemPart 21, International standard-IEC 61400 21, 2001, pp. 4-7.
- "Indian Wind Grid Code Draft report on Jul. 2009, pp. 15-18.
- Moataz Ammar,"Flicker Emission of Distributed Wind Power: A Review of Impacts, Modeling, Grid Codes and Mitigation Techniques", IEEE 2012, pp.7-11.
- Han, A. Q. Huang, M. Baran, S. Bhattacharya, and W. Litzenberger, "STATCOM Impact Study on the Integration of a Large Wind Farm into a Weak Loop Power System", IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., Vol. 23, No. 1, Mar. 2008, pp. 226-232.
- Juan Castaneda Johan Enslin David Elizondo Nagy Abed Sercan Teleke, "Application of STATCOM with Energy Storage for Wind Farm Integration",IEEE 2010, pp. 5-8.
- Bhavya Gudimetla Sercan Teleke Juan Castaneda, "Application of Energy Storage and STATCOM for Grid Quality Issues", IEEE 2011, pp. 16-20.
- J. Gutierrez, J. Ruiz, L. Leturiondo, and A. Lazkano, "Flicker Measurement System for Wind Turbine Certi?cation", IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 58,No. 2, Feb. 2009. pp. 375-382.
- L. Yao, S. S. Choi, K. J. Tseng, and T. T. Lie, "A Statistical Approach to the Design of a Dispatchable Wind PowerBattery Energy Storage System",IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., Vol. 24, No. 4, Dec. 2009, pp. 15-27.
- Zhou, G. Joos, and C. Abhey, "Voltage Stability in Weak Connection Wind Farm", IEEE PES Gen. Meeting, 2005, Vol. 2, pp. 1483-1488.
- Kinjo and T. Senjyu, "Output Leveling of Renewable Energy by Electric Double Layer Capacitor Applied for Energy Storage System", IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., Vol. 21, No. 1, Mar. 2006, pp. 34-37.
- S. Bhatia, S. P. Jain, D. K. Jain, and B. Singh, "Battery Energy Storage System for Power Conditioning of Renewable Energy Sources", in Proc. Int. Conf. Power Electron Drives System, Jan. 2006, vol. 1, pp. 501-506.
- W. Mohod and M. V. Aware,"Grid Power Quality with Variable Speed Wind Energy Conversion", in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Power Electronic Drives and Energy System (PEDES), Delhi, Dec. 2006, pp. 12-16.
- Zeng, C. Yu, Q. Qi, and Z. Yan, "A Novel Hysteresis Current Control for Active Power Filter with Constant Frequency", Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol.68, pp. 75-82.
- W. Mohod and M. V. Aware, "Power Quality Issues and its Mitigation Technique in Wind Energy Conversion", in Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Quality Power and Harmonic, Wollongong, Australia, 2008, pp. 4-8.
- Sharad W. Mohod , Mohan V. Aware, "A STATCOM-Control Scheme for Grid Connected Wind Energy System for Power Quality Improvement", IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 4, no. 3, September 2010, pp. 20-25.
- Toodeji, N. Farokhnia and G.H. Riahy, "Integration of PV Module and STATCOM to Extract Maximum Power from PV", IEEE 2010, pp. 5-8.
- Rajiv K.Varma, S. R. Rangarajan, Iurie Axente, Vinay Sharma, "Novel Application of a PV solar plant as STATCOM during Night and Day in a Distribution Utility Network", IEEE 2011. pp. 2-4.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Lokesh Vitonde, Surbhi Shrivastava, Alka Dharwal, "Power Quality Improvement of Wind Energy by Statcom", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.421-429, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624101.php