This paper assessed the suitability of water in the Amansie West District in the Ashanti Region of Ghana for irrigation purposes and future planning of clean water resources. Twenty one (21) locations were selected on the major rivers and their tributaries in the district for sampling and the water samples taken at the depth of 15cm from the rivers. The samples were analyzed at Soil Research Institute's Laboratory for irrigation water quality parameters and compared with international water quality standard set for irrigation. All the irrigation water quality parameters, pH, temperature, ECw, TDS, Ca, Mg, Na, K and SAR were within the permissible limit and suitable for irrigation. Heavy metals (Fe, Pb and Cd) levels were all within allowable limits except Mn and Zn. However, further study to examine anions such as bicarbonate and carbonate for irrigation suitability is recommended.
Gabriel Quansah, Adams Sadick, Joseph Fenning, Kwabena Nketia, Eric Asamoah
Water Quality, Irrigation, Rivers, Cations, Anions
- Akabzaa T. and Darimani A. (2001) - Impact of Mining Sector Investment in Ghana: A Study of the Tarkwa Mining Region, SAPRI, Accra.
- Asamoah, E., Nketiah, K. A., Sadick, A., Gyembibi, K. A., Forkuo, E. K., Ayer, J. and Adjei, E. O. (2015). Water Quality Assessment of Lake Bosomtwe for Irrigation Purpose. International Journal of Agricultural and Crop Sciences. Vol 8(3), 366-372.
- Ayres R. S, Westcot D. W. 1985. Water Quality for Agriculture. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 29. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome. p. 1-117.
- BOT (Bank of Tanzania), 2002. Economic bulletin for the Quarter ended September, 30, 2002, vol. 33, 3rd ed. The Guardian press. Dare-es-salaam, Tanzania.
- Chiroma T. M., Ebewele R. O. and Hymore F. K. (2004). Comparative assessment of heavy metal levels in soil, vegetables and urban grey waste water used for irrigation in Yola and Kano. International Journal of Engineering and Science. P. 01-09
- DE AK.1989. Environmental Chemistry. Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi, India.p. 42-43
- Dock, L., 2005. Mining and Environment. Acid Mine Drainage and its effects on the environment. University Lecture Notes. Lulea, Sweden.
- Hounslow W. 1995 .Water quality data analysis and interpretation. CRC Press Inc., Florida, U.S.A., pp. 72-73.
- Ghana Chamber of Mines (2008) - Factoid, www.ghanachamberofmines.org
- Koryak, M., 1997. Origins and ecosystem degradation impacts of acid mine drainage. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Available at http://www.army.mil/misc/AMD_Impacts.htm. Accessed (24/11/2007).
- Matthess G. 1982. The Properties of Ground Water, John Wiley and Sons, New York, U.S.A., pp. 397.
- Mc Kim, J. M., Benoit, D.A., 1971. Effects of long term exposures to heavy metals on survival, growth, and reproduction of brook trout. Oregon. State Univ, Corvallis.
- Michael A. M. 1992. Irrigation Theory and Practices. Vikash Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.,New Delhi, India. pp. 686- 740.
- Mount, D. I., 1973. Chronic effect of low pH on fathead minnow survival, growth and reproduction. Water Res. 7,168-172.
- Phillips, L. C., Semboja, H., Shukla, G. P., Sezinga, R., Mutagabwa, W., Mchwampaka, B., Wanga, G., Kahyarara, G., Keller, P.C., 2001. Tanzania’s precious Minerals Boom. Issues in Mining and Marketing Equity and Growth through Economic Research (EAGER). USAID Bureau for Africa. Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
- Richards L. A. 1954. Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils, U. S. Department of Agriculture Handbook, Vol. 60, Washington D. C., USA. p.160.
- Ripley, E.A., 1996. Environmental effect of Mining. Delray Beach, St Lucie press. Florida, USA.
- UCCC (University of California Committee of Consultants). 1974. Guidelines for Interpretations of water Quality for Irrigation. Technical Bulletin, University of California Committee of Consultants, California, USA pp. 20-28.
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Program), 1997. Industry and environment, mining and sustainable development. Available at http://www.uneptie.org/vol20no4.html.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Gabriel Quansah, Adams Sadick, Joseph Fenning, Kwabena Nketia, Eric Asamoah, "Effects of Illegal Mining Activities on Water Resources for Irrigation Purposes, Amansie West District, Ghana", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.664-668, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624103.php