Human hair fiber (HHF) is a natural non-biodegradable waste material which creates nuisance to the environment if not disposed of in a proper manner. In this project HHF is used as a reinforcement to increase the subgrade strength for the soft clayey soil. HHF is used in varying percentages and Unconfined Compressive Strength test, CBR test were conducted. The results are compared with unreinforced soil. Fibers with average length of 20mm are used. The test result shows that strength significantly increases with addition of HHF and also prevents the sample from cracking.
Prakash Patil, Harini H. N.
Human Hair Fiber (HHF), waste material, Clayey Soil, UCC Test, CBR Test.
- Sinan Abdulkhaleq Yaseen - University of Salahaddin, “An Experimental Investigation into the Mechanical Properties of New Natural Fibre Reinforced Mortar”, 2013.
- Darsh Belani, Dr. F.S. Umrigar & Prof. Jayeshkumar Pitroda B.V.M Engineering College, Gujarat, “Use of Human Hair as Natural Fibre for Fly Ash Bricks”, 2013.
- R.Pillai & Ayothiraman Ramanathan - IIT Delhi, “An Innovative Technique of Improving the Soil Using Human Hair Fibre” 2012.
- Ganiron Jr. and Tomas U. - Australian Institute of Geoscientists, Qassim University, “Effects of Human Hair Additives in Compressive Strength of Asphalt Cement Mixture”, 2014.
- Rohin Kaushik Asst. Prof. Chandigarh University, India, “An Innovative Technique of Improving the C.B.R Value of Soil Using Hair fibre” in June 2014.
- Wajid Ali Butt et al, “Strength Behavior of Clayey Soil Reinforced with Human Hair as a Natural Fibre” in Nov 2015.
- Karan Gupta et al, “Soil Sub- grade Improvement Using Human Hair Fiber” in Dec 2014.
- N. Akhtara and Sh. Ahmad A. M. U., “The effect of randomly oriented hair fiber on mechanical properties of fly-ash based hollow block for low height masonry structures” in 2009.
- Raja Mahendar et al, “An Experimental Study on Mechanical Properties of Human Hair Fibre Reinforced Concrete (M-40 Grade)”, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE).
- Hussein H. Karim et al, “Soft Clay Soil Improvement Using Stone Columns and Dynamic Compaction Techniques”, Eng. & Tech. Journal,Vol.27, No.14,2009.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prakash Patil, Harini H. N., "An Innovative Method of Improving Subgrade Strength of Soft Soil Using Human Hair Fibers as Reinforcement", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.551-554, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624113.php