Plumeria rubra are commonly grown as ornamental plants in parks and home gardens because of their beautiful fragrant flowers of various color and size. Plumeria rubra is one of the plants which have been used in traditional medicine for many years. The plant is known to possess biological activities viz., antipyretic, antifungal, antiviral, analgesic, anticancer, antioxidative and hypolipidemic, proteolytic, cytotoxic activities etc. The present review gives an account of updated information of the botanical, phytochemical and pharmacology aspects of Plumeria rubra.
Ornamental, Ayurveda, Multipurpose
- Augustus, G.D.P.S., M. Jayabalan and G.J. Seiler. (2003). Alternative energy sources from plants of western ghats (Tamil Nadu, India). Biomass Bioenergy. 24: 437-444.
- Banu R, Jayakar B. (2011). Anti cancer activity of ethanolic extract of Leaves of Plumeria rubra (Linn). CPR 1(2). 175-179.
- (2004). The Illustrated AZ of over 10000 garden plants and how to cultivate them. Könemann. 691.
- Devprakash, Tembare, R., Gurav, S., Kumar, S.G.P. and Mani, T.T. (2012). An review of Phytochemical constituents and pharmacological activity of Plumaria Species. Int Jour of Current Pharmaceutical Activity of Plumeria Species. 4(1): 1-6.
- Edward, and Gilman, D.G. (1994). Plumeria rubra Middleaged Frangipani. Fact Sheet ST-491. Watson, 1-4.
- Egwaikhide PA, Okeniyi So, Gimba Ce. (2009). Screening For Anti-Microbial Activity And Phytochemical Constituents Of Some Nigerian Medicinal Plants. J Med Plants Res. 3(12):1088–91.
- Farombi, (2003). African indigenous plants with chemotherapeutic potentials and biotechnological approach to the production of bioactive prophylactic agents. Afr. J. Biotech. 2: 662-671.
- Gopi J, Khatri P, Singh N, Gaud H, Patel R. (2011) Phytochemical and pharmacological potential of Plumeria rubra (Apocynaceae): A review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 3: 1162-1168.
- John Merina, D. Sivanesan, V. Hazeena Begum, and N. Sulochana. (2010). E-Journal of Chemistry. vol 7.
- Kardono, L.B., S. Tsauri, K. Padmawinata, J.M. Pezzuto and A.D. Kinghorn. (1990). Cytotoxic constituents of the bark of Plumeria rubra collected in Indonesia. Nat. Prod., 53: 1447-1455.
- Kritikar KR, Basu BD. (2006). Indian Medicinal Plants. Dehradun: International Book Distributors. p 1561.
- Kuete, and T. Efferth. (2011). Pharmacogenomics of Cameroonian traditional herbal medicine for cancer therapy. J. Ethnopharmacol. 137: 752-766.
- Kumar,S., Sivakumar T, Sunderam RS, Gupta M, Mazumdar UK, Gomathi P, et al. (2005). Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Bauhinia racemosa L. stem bark. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 38: 1015-1024.
- Kumar A, Chanda I, Singh A. (2009). Extraction and evaluation of pharmacological activity of saponins extract of Plumeria rubra leaves. 1: 969-974.
- Leswar ND, Widjata R. (1992). Medicinal and aromatic plant, CSIR Delhi publication and information directorates, New Delhi.
- Ramalingum Radha, Subramanyam Kavimani, Velayudham Ravichandran. (2008). Antitumour Activity of Methanolic Extract of Plumeria alba L. Leaves Against Dalton Lymphoma Ascites in Mice. International Journal of Health Research. 1(2): 79-85
- Shinde PR, Patil P, Bairagi VA. (2014). Phytopharmacological review of Plumeria species. Sch Acad J Pharm. 3(2):217-227.
- Sulaiman,F., S.S. Yaacob, M.L. Tan and T.S.T. Muhamma, (2008). Chemical components of the essential oils from three species of Malaysian Plumeria L. and their effects on the growth of selected microorganisms. J. Biosci. 19: 1-7.
- Tan T. (1991). Evalution of naturel products as inhibitors of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) reverse trancriptase. Journal of Natural products. 54, : 143-154.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sunita Verma, "Multipurpose Ornamental Plant Plumeria rubra
Linn (Apocynaceae)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.646-649, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624128.php