An approach is performed following finite element technique for MHD flow of viscous incompressible and electrically conducting fluid around a heat conducting solid block placed in a ventilated enclosure. A uniform transverse magnetic field is imposed in the opposite direction of flow perpendicular to the right vertical wall. Reynolds number and Prandtl number effects are investigated on flow and thermal field at a wide range of Reynolds (50≤Re≤500) and Prandtl (0.071≤Pr≤7.1) numbers. The expressions for the flow visualizations and temperature distributions inside the studied domain are presented by streamlines and isotherms. Moreover average Nusselt number at the hot wall and average bulk fluid temperature in the cavity are obtained. It is observed that the results focused in this paper are consistent with the physical reality of the flow problem.
M. U. Ahammad, M. M. K. Chowdhury, M. M. Rahman
Reynolds Number, Prandtl Number, Square Enclosure, Mixed Convection, Heat Conduction
- Prakash, D. and Ravikumar, P., (2013). Study of thermal comfort in a room with windows at adjacent walls along with additional vents, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 6(6), 4659-4669.
- Ahammad, M. U., Rahman, M. M., Rahman, M. L., (2012). Effect of inlet and outlet position in a ventilated cavity with a heat generating square block, Engineering e-Transaction, 7(2), 107–115.
- Ahammad, M. U., Rahman, M. M., Rahman, M. L., (2013). Mixed Convection Flow and Heat Transfer Behavior inside a Vented Enclosure in the Presence of Heat Generating Obstacle, International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, 3(4), 967-978.
- Billah, M.M., Rahman, M.M., Saidur, R., Hasanuzzaman, M., (2011). Simulation of MHD mixed convection heat transfer enhancement in a double lid-driven obstructed enclosure, International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, 6(1), 18-30.
- Gau, C., Jeng, Y.C., Liu, C.G., (2000). An experimental study on mixed convection in a horizontal rectangular channel heated from a side, ASME J. Heat Transfer, 122, 701-707.
- Oztop, H.F., Zhao, Z., Yu, B., (2009). Fluid flow due to combined convection in lid-driven enclosure having a circular body, Int. J. Heat and Fluid Flow, 30, 886-901.
- Kumar, De, A., Dalal, A. (2006). A numerical study of natural convection around a square horizontal heated cylinder placed in an enclosure, International journal Heat Mass Transfer, 49, 4608-4623.
- Mehmet, C.E. and Elif, B., (2006). Natural convection flow under a magnetic field in an inclined rectangular enclosure heated and cooled on adjacent walls, Fluid Dynamics Research, 38, 564-590.
- Obayedullah, M., Chowdhury, M.M.K. and Rahman, M.M., (2013). Natural convection in a rectangular cavity having internal energy sources and electrically conducting fluid with sinusoidal temperature at the bottom wall, International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, 8(1), 73-78.
- Rahman, M.M., Alim, M.A., Saha, S., Chowdhury, M.K., (2008). Mixed convection in a vented square cavity with a heat conducting horizontal solid circular cylinder, Journal of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, 5(2), 37-46.
- Rahman, M.M., Elias, M., Alim, M.A., (2009). Mixed convection flow in a rectangular ventilated cavity with a heat conducting square cylinder at the center, J. of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 4(5), 20-29.
- Rahman, M. M., Parvin, S. Saidur, R., Rahim, N. A., (2011). Magnetohydrodynamic mixed convection in a horizontal channel with an open cavity, International Communication Heat Mass Transfer, 38, 184–193.
- Raji, A., Hasnaoui, M., (1998). Mixed convection heat transfer in a rectangular cavity ventilated and heated from the side, Numer Heat Transfer, Part A, 33, 533-548.
- Reddy, J.N., (1993). An Introduction to Finite Element Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New-York.
- Saeidi, S.M., Khodadadi, J.M., (2006). Forced convection in a square cavity with inlet and outlet ports, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 49, 1896-1906.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
M. U. Ahammad, M. M. K. Chowdhury, M. M. Rahman, "Effects of the Reynolds Number and Prandtl Number on Flow and Temperature Field inside a Square Vented Enclosure having Heat Conducting Block", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.669-674, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624131.php